Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a Mustang seat....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Double_J1024
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a mustang seat on my old Honda shadow. It was one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had the pleasure of riding on. I will be replacing my Road King seat with one as soon as I can get a few free dollars. I looked at some of the HD seats, but nothing fit the road king, or felt right when I road them. I say give one a try and return it if you don't like it.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM
waternut
Cruiser
Default mustang seat

Mustang will have a tent at the Myrtle Beach Spring Rally that starts on May 10. You can try the seats there if you can make it.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What year King, had one on our '03 and it was OK, went to a Sundowner and was much happier. If a later model try the dealer, they have a few try them before you buy seats for touring set ups. The stock seat on our '12 FLTRU sets almost perfect for me, wife loves it as is so we are keeping the stocker.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus
Dennis Kirk here also. No one was close to their price and free shipping!

Rax

I'm glad I checked here.. I'll be buying from DK tomorrow AM.

HDforums, always a good place to check in before writing the check.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Great seats. If you buy direct, I think they'll give you 10 days to try it out and return it undamaged if it's not for you. I'd invest in a quick call to them to be sure.

Originally Posted by TheGrayOne
I want to buy a Mustang seat for my Road King. However, none of the dealers actually stock the seats. I'd really like to actually sit on it before buying.
Have most Mustang seat owners bought their seat sight unseen?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a long-time Mustang user. Had them on three different bikes. First, I've never seen a Mustang seat for any late model HD where the passenger sits a foot higher than the driver. Maybe for a chopper or rat bike.

Second, their seats are good quality...as good if not better than what HD sells under their brand.

Third, which seat will work best for you is trial and error. One thing I know for certain, how well a seat works for long distance riding is somewhat related to you own weight. If you weigh under 175 lbs. then you will have a variety of seats from which to chose that you will find comforable. If you weigh over 250 lbs. its a whole 'nother story. A seat manufacturer can only put so much padding into a seat. In fact, some seat manufacturers will not recommend their seats to those who weigh over 275 lbs. And yes, it does take time for a seat to conform to your ***. So, sitting on one in the HD shop will only tell you how you will be positioned on the bike.

It won't tell you much about how comfortable it will be on long rides.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Last edited by HardyHarHarley; 05-05-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhite74
I had one paid $845 for seat & backrests it was a rock!!! i now ride a hammock seat from harley and LOVE it can sit on it a whole tank and never feel bad, plus you can try one at any hd dealer
Yup experiencing the same problem, like sitting on a flat rock WTF!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 PM
brocan
Advanced

Can't go wrong buying sight unseen , have had 2 so far, 1 on a Fat Boy and now one on my Street Glide. Wife bought one an put on her 2011 Wide Glide as well, we love them. All day riding comfort. You'll be god u ordered it.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
FLHTK_2013
Cruiser

I purchased a Mustang super touring seat and backrest for my Dyna about 10 years ago and it is still on there.

Pros. Quality, appearance, value for $, comfort is tremendous. Since I have forward controls, i am really pushed into the seat, and yet it keeps me comfortable. It looks like it has another 10-20 years left. Wife loves it too. She used to use a pillow cushion before the Mustang, now she can stay on no problem. We did several 2 day 2 up trips on the Mustang and the seat was a non- issue.

(Furthermore I can say that the stock seat on my Limited is not as comfy for me as is the Mustang on the Dyna - on the Limited I get butt ache after about 60 minutes - I sent it to Mean City for memory foam mods and if that does not work out then I may have to look at another Mustang. That is the last resort though because then I may need to change bars as well.)

Cons. Added an inch of ride height, and it is very firm. At first I was upset at how firm it is, but then again I can ride a whole tank of gas and feel great. I put on a set of softail standard bars in part to compensate for the height of the seat and all is good now.

I think it is true what some have said - a Mustang may seem different and uncomfortable at first; you have to get used to it. And for those who did not like it, the basic rider / seat dynamics may have been off to begin with; in other words the seats firmness itself may not be the real issue.

All this IMHO, and in regards to the super touring. Other Mustang seats may be softer but I have no experience there.

Overall I love it, but I did take a gamble sight unseen.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTK_2013
I purchased a Mustang super touring seat and backrest for my Dyna about 10 years ago and it is still on there.

Pros. Quality, appearance, value for $, comfort is tremendous. Since I have forward controls, i am really pushed into the seat, and yet it keeps me comfortable. It looks like it has another 10-20 years left. Wife loves it too. She used to use a pillow cushion before the Mustang, now she can stay on no problem. We did several 2 day 2 up trips on the Mustang and the seat was a non- issue.

(Furthermore I can say that the stock seat on my Limited is not as comfy for me as is the Mustang on the Dyna - on the Limited I get butt ache after about 60 minutes - I sent it to Mean City for memory foam mods and if that does not work out then I may have to look at another Mustang. That is the last resort though because then I may need to change bars as well.)

Cons. Added an inch of ride height, and it is very firm. At first I was upset at how firm it is, but then again I can ride a whole tank of gas and feel great. I put on a set of softail standard bars in part to compensate for the height of the seat and all is good now.

I think it is true what some have said - a Mustang may seem different and uncomfortable at first; you have to get used to it. And for those who did not like it, the basic rider / seat dynamics may have been off to begin with; in other words the seats firmness itself may not be the real issue.

All this IMHO, and in regards to the super touring. Other Mustang seats may be softer but I have no experience there.

Overall I love it, but I did take a gamble sight unseen.
Thanks for the great evaluation of your experience with your Mustang!

Quick Reply: buying a Mustang seat....