Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013 | 03:11 PM
Cutting88
|
Intermediate
Default Touring Mufflers

Will try to keep this to a minimum.
Okay so a little bit about my setup: '09 FLHX with Dresser duals, SE AC and PCV. Currently running my Rush 3.5 slip ons which have become my sort of default set.
Since upgrading to dresser duals I seem to not quite be able to find the set of mufflers I can commit to so to speak. Here's what I have tried so far:
First switch was Rush 3.5" with 1.75 baffles. Sounded okay, got bored with them.
CFRs (with both crossover and dresser duals) - rode around with them for 2 months and took them off. Although they do have a different sound to them, they simply got annoying and like one of the forum members here said, they sound like a hot rod not a Harley. Never going back to those again.
Next, I figured I'd try Rush pipes with true duals. Sounded better than originally and was quite a relief after CFRs.
Next I was thinking okay, rush sound good and bigger is better so let's try the 4" rushes. Put the Big Louis with 2" baffles on. What a mistake. Terrible drone and absolutely nothing like what they show in youtube vids
Lesson learned 4 inch mufflers drone and that's a fact of life.
Put 3.5 inch Rineharts on. I gave them an honest week to see if that would somehow grow on me, but quite frankly I wouldn't put them back on if I got paid to. Very dull thumpy sound so to speak. And awful at cruise, a sound close to someone smacking a rubber stick around in a porcelain pan.
Never tried V&H mufflers on mine but heard plenty of them since it seems everyone and their dog has them. Considered Jackpots at one point, but it seems they're basically rush with modified baffles and I'm not running a crossover anyway to have a need for asymmetrical baffles.
At this point my next tryout set might be Screamin Eagle Street Cannons. Heard them on an ultra at the dealer and I must say they didn't sound bad, but it was a 103 with a crossover pipe with a catalytic converter in it.
I like the look of them and they have some nice end caps for them, but I don't want to have to get rid of another set on CL if I hate how they sound on my bike.
Has anyone by any chance tried them on a similar set up as mine? Any opinions on them would be great. Any other suggestions that sound good with DDs are more than welcome.

Old 05-04-2013 | 03:17 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Here's my 2 cents. I'm running a FLHR with a gutted cat and American Custom Bombers with the mid rumble baffles. A little louder than stock and I can ride all day with no headache or annoying drone. I can leave for work at 3am and don't annoy the neighbors....

Old 05-04-2013 | 03:21 PM
Cutting88
|
Intermediate

Oh yea, and here's what my baby looks like.
Touring Mufflers-20130409_171129.jpg

Old 05-04-2013 | 03:37 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer

http://www.supertrapp.com/

Then you can tune it to sound like you want.

Old 05-04-2013 | 04:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

jeez, go somewhere to hear other bikes- pick the one you like and get that set up.

you are supporting the aftermarket pipe industry all by yourself.

FWIW have used Supertrapp Supermegs on my various Harleys since 1990.
I can make loud or quiet in minutes, I can tune the power; torque or HP.
I also have some snufRnots which allow "open" to "closed" in an instant

Mike

Old 05-04-2013 | 04:20 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Buddy has the new khromwerks HP+ on stock headlines .deep, not loud.

Old 05-04-2013 | 04:31 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
http://www.supertrapp.com/

Then you can tune it to sound like you want.
SE Nightstick/fatshotz same thing.
LISTEN BEFORE YA BUY!

Old 05-04-2013 | 04:49 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member

FLHR, 2012 103", decatted with 4" Jackpots. No drones, loud when I get on it but not obnoxious. Quiet enough to not make the neighbors haters.

Old 05-04-2013 | 06:00 PM
131IRONMIKE
Cruiser
Default Mufflers

I all so have 4" jackpots not to loud idling wack the gas gets alittle louder but not the crack sound more like thunder IMHO.

Old 05-04-2013 | 06:03 PM
Marty33
Cruiser

Check out the S&S SPO slip on's. Deep rumble at idle, nice deep roar when you get on it. I love these things on my FLTRU.

Quick Reply: Touring Mufflers