Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision vs Power Commander V

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
cbi1000
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Vision vs Power Commander V

So i thinnk i'm gonig to do slips-on's, head pipe, and air intake.

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the Power Vision and the Power Commander V. The guy at Fuel Moto tried to tell me but he was doing three things at once and i never really understood.

He old me if i went with the V&H's pipes and the air intake i would be just fine running the Power Commander V.

From what i understand the both do the same thing, but the commander v stays on the bike and the Vision comes off and has a screen.

Can someone tell me the difference between the two and the pros and cons of each?

Would i be ok with just the commander v?

thanks again.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be fine with the PC V but I have the power vision and it is really cool and what you can do with it is cool as well...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 665 Likes on 530 Posts

the pcv is a piggyback system it takes the signal from the ecm and changes it b4 it gets to the injectors.the vision is a flash tuner it rewrites the ecm.if u like plugg and play pcv comes (from fuelmoto) set up and ready to go for your mods.so does the vision,but you will have to flash the ecn very easy to do and has good instructions,with the vision if u want u can data log and see what your motor is doing and make changes to the map.for a stg1 only with little chance of future mods the pcv will work fine,some bash it because its a piggyback and must be on the bike but if u do have trouble its very easy to unplug and go back to stock,useful for warremtie work and troubleshooting.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I'd have to ask what you plan to do with whichever tuner you decide on.

Do you plan to experiment and play with your tune from time-to-time or simply install whichever and never touch it again assuming it runs to your satisfaction? If the latter, either one will work just as well.

I like to play with my tune. I have the PCV w/AutoTune and I'm perfectly happy with it, but I'd be even happier with the Power Vision and the Pro AutoTune.

The PV was not yet available when I bought my PCV, otherwise that's what I would have.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sold on the Power Vision. Very easy to use and play around with.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM
cbi1000
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all works fine, i'd just install it and leave it. Also, at ths time i don't see any motor work being done.

What is Auto tune? I now, another couple hundre bucks? LOL.

Im leaning towards the V&N power duals with either the monster ovals or the twin slashes. What ever ones are more quiet.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cbi1000
If all works fine, i'd just install it and leave it. Also, at ths time i don't see any motor work being done.

What is Auto tune? I now, another couple hundre bucks? LOL.

Im leaning towards the V&N power duals with either the monster ovals or the twin slashes. What ever ones are more quiet.
Based on your response that you're most likely to simply install and leave it alone, and not really wanting to play with it, get either one. Once installed and working properly you won't know the difference. They will each provide the same level of performance in your scenario.

The PCV is a little cheaper and can be transferred to another bike. The PV is a little more money and is married to your bike. You might consider that in making your choice.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Two real advantages of the PV: Retains use of the 02s so it will run in closed loop as designed. Flashes the ECM! It is not an add-on that trys to "fool" the ecm. For the small price difference I think it's a no brainer.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I ran PCV for couple of years. I am now running the PV. the biggest thing is the PV lets you keep the stock O2 sensors hooked up and you can autotune with it. The PCV mounts under the seat and mainly controls spark and fuel. The power vision can pretty much change any adjustment on the ecm. It does more than the SEPST. PCV works fine but the PV is much better in my opinion. The software with the PV is way better than the PCV also. You can also monitor gauges, MPG, temp, VE, Spark advance, throttle position, spark knock, IAC steps, do autotune and datalog, view and reset codes with explanation of what the code is.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the PCV and it is great. Got it from Fuel Moto / Jamie and those guys are great.
The PV didn't exist back then but if it did, I would have bought it in a heart beat.
I'm a stage 1 guy and maybe some cams way down the road but my factory speedo is off and it drives me nuts.
The PV allows you to change the parameters to correct for speedo error. I can always get a new map for the cams later from Fuel Moto for my PCV but if I had the opportunity, I'd go PV.

Take care,
Dave