Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meguiars is my friend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:18 PM
J-FRAME
|
Cruiser
Default Meguiars is my friend.

Made a post a while back. My bat wing on my 2000 vivid black FLHT with almost 40 k was trashed. Swirls in the paint. Looked bad.I got good advice on the forum and wanted to share my results. Spent $50 on a Clay bar kit and Scratch X 2.0 remover and Carnauba wax.Well I rewashed it and did the clay bar and scratch remover and wax and it looks great.Swirls are gone. I got enough product to keep it up. BUT how do I keep the clay bar fresh?? Anyway thanks for the help.

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:22 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Scratch-X rocks.

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:24 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

keep clay bar in zip-lock baggy

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:26 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 for Scratch X!!! i love this product with my black Ultra, make her staying like a new bike

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:26 PM
eviltwin69
Tourer

Originally Posted by shore
keep clay bar in zip-lock baggy

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:27 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

The clay bar can be used a few times, but after that I found it's best to get a new one.

Meguiars makes some spectacular products.

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:35 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by SouthpawHD
The clay bar can be used a few times, but after that I found it's best to get a new one.

Meguiars makes some spectacular products.
Is it necessary to use the Scratch X and a clay bar at the same time? I have a 2012 RG in Vivid Black. I don't think it needs a clay bar, but am wondering if Scratch X will do for the very light swirl marks that are beginning to show.

Old 05-02-2013 | 02:42 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

They do make awesome products, Scratch X is one of my favorites also. Their boat products are amazing also.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 05-02-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2013 | 03:01 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SouthpawHD
The clay bar can be used a few times, but after that I found it's best to get a new one...
My experience is quite the opposite. I'm still using my original bar that I bought to do my new at the time car, a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. It started out blue in color, now it's kind of a greyish blue, from all the dirt it's picked up over the years. But it still works just as good as it did when new. And like another poster said, I store it in a zip-lock baggie.

Originally Posted by gipper
Is it necessary to use the Scratch X and a clay bar at the same time? I have a 2012 RG in Vivid Black. I don't think it needs a clay bar, but am wondering if Scratch X will do for the very light swirl marks that are beginning to show.
No! The clay bar and the Scratch X are two different products that each address a different problem.

The clay bar is used to remove surface contaminants that are stuck or bonded to the paint surface. Think of paint overspray as an example. The clay bar works by picking the contaminant from the surface without removing any of the original paint.

The Scratch X is a polish used to remove defects that have broken the surface of the paint such as a scratch or swirl mark. Polishes work by removing some of the original paint in order to eliminate the defect.

If you are going to do both processes, the clay bar should be first, followed by the polish and wax.

Last edited by 2black1s; 05-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2013 | 08:37 AM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2black1s
My experience is quite the opposite. I'm still using my original bar that I bought to do my new at the time car, a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. It started out blue in color, now it's kind of a greyish blue, from all the dirt it's picked up over the years. But it still works just as good as it did when new. And like another poster said, I store it in a zip-lock baggie.

No! The clay bar and the Scratch X are two different products that each address a different problem.

The clay bar is used to remove surface contaminants that are stuck or bonded to the paint surface. Think of paint overspray as an example. The clay bar works by picking the contaminant from the surface without removing any of the original paint.

The Scratch X is a polish used to remove defects that have broken the surface of the paint such as a scratch or swirl mark. Polishes work by removing some of the original paint in order to eliminate the defect.

If you are going to do both processes, the clay bar should be first, followed by the polish and wax.
2black1s: I don't have any contaminants that have bonded to my paint, all I have are light swirls marks beginning to show up. What do you recommend for that; will the Scratch X be a good product for that? Wax product threads are like oil threads, tuner threads, etc., but this thread looked like a good place to ask what still is an unanswered question for me. Thanks!

OP, hope you don't mind a slight highjack here!

Quick Reply: Meguiars is my friend.