Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
What is the advantage of holding with foot brake instead of hand brake, while stopped?

I don't see any. This technique is only necessary if you gave no front brake. Am I missing something?
Otherwise it is a "Do it the way we always did it, although nobody understands why we still do it that way anymore" thing.
Left hand controls the clutch; left foot supports the bike; right foot keeps the bike stopped; and right hand controls the throttle--why would you do it otherwise?

Carl

Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
+1
Exactly. Taught us this in MSF course many years ago. At a light, an eye on your mirror, be prepared to escape.
Where are you riding? I'm in metro Orlando area; there is no escape! Three or four travel lanes in each direction plus two left turn lanes for each side of an intersection. I sit in neutral and wait for the yellow light rushers to pass before dropping into gear.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion, and that is all it is but I can not believe anyone that says they sit there clutch in with both eyes on their mirrors for emergency escape. Where are you going to escape too? Into cross traffic! So you escape one accident straight into another.

Hmmmm. Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The idea behind the escape is if you need to you can pull up along side the cars in front, use the shoulder, turn lane and or anything that will allow you out of the way. I wouldn't recommend pulling out into oncoming traffic.

Sometimes you can't avoid the accident but I am not going to sit there and pray a car wont run into me from behind. Just saying....

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Not every situation presents the same opportunities for escape that others do. I ride in heavy North Metro Atlanta traffic and there are occasions when escape is limited. Still, having developed the habit of anticipating an escape allow me the opportunity to use one if I need to.

The converse of the escape approach is cigarette smoking. Not all smokers die at a younger age than.non-smokers, but that does not mean that cigarette smoking is a sensible activity.

Same thing with preparing to escape with bike in gear while stopped. It is not perfect but seems a sensible precaution when I ride.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 05-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.
What he said. Back in the 60's my father was in his car at a red light, with a motorcycle headed in the opposite direction also waiting for the light. The bike got rear-ended, the rider flew diagonally across the intersection and onto my father's windshield, which caved in and broke the riders flight enough so he slid off the hood, and was able to get up and walk away.

I MIGHT keep in in neutral at a long light with no cagers around-still, I keep my eyes on the rearview....

"A prudent man learns from other people's mistakes".

Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM
2012SuperGlider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually like to leave my bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. Sometimes though I end up sitting at a really long light with a few cars stopped behind me. In that instance I put it in neutral. I will also sit in neutral if there is absolutely no one coming behind me. Yes I know this varies from what they teach in MSF so there is no need for someone to point it out to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 PM
mjbones
Cruiser

I agee with redrub 100 per cent, I know at least 2 people rear ended at a red light.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 PM
cp1
Cruiser

Clutch

Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the vehicle behind me is stopped, i generally put it in neutral. Otherwise, clutch and enough room to make an escape, which I've had to do twice.

Quick Reply: Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?