Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...

Always leave yourself an out. In gear scanning mirrors as always.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogprince
I always leave my bike in first at a stoplight or a stop sign. The main reason is to give my self an out. It might not seem like much time is wasted down shifting in an emergency but I rather not chance it.
That's me, too.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Proud Marine Dad
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch

Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
redrub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the variety of replies from the neutrals. This is a fun topic OP.
Years ago I was riding down a major street in a large city. 2 lanes East, 2 lanes West double lines down the middle, uncontrolled intersections every 3 out of 4 blocks. I was at one of those intersections making a left, waiting for the traffic going the other way to clear.
I saw a car coming from behind, it looked to me like I was invisible to him. Or that was what I saw in that slit second in my mirror. This is where I must say my eye is in the mirror but I'm also watching everything else around me, they call that "situational awareness" I practice it, I live it. Back to the story.
I couldn't cross because of traffic, I was stopped ready to turn, what did I do? The safest place to be between 2 moving cars is between 2 moving cars, I didn't have to move very far to be right in the center of Lake Street, right on the paint. I still remember the drivers face of that blue Chevy. He never saw me, the drivers going the other way probably never even knew I made an evasive maneuver. I just kept my cool and my practice was like instinct.

As far as intersections with cross traffic goes....

The next time you're at a left turn signal waiting for the light. There's a division between the 2 opposite lanes. sometimes its a median sometimes paint, whatever. Watch the cross traffic, where they drive. look at that piece of real estate on your left, right in front of the traffic sign that faces the other way. Now look at the size of your bike and where it will fit right there. Close to traffic? Yes. In harms way? Close, but not as likely. Those signs get wiped out but not from the car that is barreling down on you from behind but rather from traffic from the other side not yielding to the cross traffic. Nothings perfect but It's the safest place to go if the **** hits the fan in an intersection.

1st gear every time!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
cmtaylor
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.
Ditto!!!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:31 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just about the only time my bike is in neutral is when I'm starting it

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It may take a bit of time, but getting used to holding the bike with only the left foot down will come.

Carl

Old 05-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
It may take a bit of time, but getting used to holding the bike with only the left foot down will come.

Carl
What is the advantage of holding with foot brake instead of hand brake, while stopped?

I don't see any. This technique is only necessary if you gave no front brake. Am I missing something?
Otherwise it is a "Do it the way we always did it, although nobody understands why we still do it that way anymore" thing.

Last edited by Ron750; 05-03-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Clutch. I'll replace it in lieu of being hit from behind at an intersection.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
What is the advantage of holding with foot brake instead of hand brake, while stopped?

I don't see any. This technique is only necessary if you gave no front brake. Am I missing something?
Otherwise it is a "Do it the way we always did it, although nobody understands why we still do it that way anymore" thing.
There are advantages to holding the motorcycle in place with the rear brake instead of the front:

Better throttle control. Fine motor skill throttle modulation is better because you are only doing one task. Sometimes traffic doesn't start and move quickly, so you may have to travel along at a crawl. The front brake isn't really the best tool for the job at low speed, especially if you turn the front wheel left or right in an attempt to balance the bike and then stop suddenly.

Better low speed control. The rear brake is superior to the front for slow traffic riding. For people who have difficulty with managing clutch and throttle it can also serve are an indicator of when the friction zone of the clutch becomes apparent; it can help make starts smoother.

Better balance. Balance is best when both feet are on the boards or foot pegs. With one foot already up you essentially have half your balance from the start.

Now all that said, there are times where holding the bike from rolling at a light or a stop with the front brake is best. One of those times I can think of would be when you have a squirmy passenger; you need both feet on the ground because who knows which way she's gonna lean to get her lipstick. Sitting at a stop riding solo with a strong side wind would also be one of those times where I would two finger the front brake to hold it with both feet on the ground.

Quick Reply: Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?