Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrub
Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.
+1, best answer.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Clutch in for me. However, it's of no use in providing a quick out unless you have an eye on the mirror(s). Take it from someone who has recent experience.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM
mattyj724
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on how long im gonna be there.. I usually coast going up the the light, so if a car is going to hit me, its going to be before i stop.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Rick Lees
Road Captain

I've driven big trucks little trucks,big cars,little cars and bikes I have always had my eyes scanning my mirrors....not being paranoid just habit keeps me from focusing or fixating on 1 specific thing. Makes me see whats around me better....so clutch in scanning around. For you folks that say your clutch is tough to hold in after a while it gets easier or go to an easy clutch or go to neutral what ever floats your boat

Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
+1
Exactly. Taught us this in MSF course many years ago. At a light, an eye on your mirror, be prepared to escape.
Never been through a course, been riding my whole life, I clutch it and also prepared to escape, keep an eye on my mirrors until someone comes to a complete stop behind me and feel a little safer. I'd bounce it off the side off of a couple cars to keep from being rear ended if need be.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,226 Likes on 4,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's Ultra
David remembers waking up after neurosurgery on August 9 and being confused.

“The last thing I remembered was slowing for the red light,” David says. “I was confused because I could see tubes in my nose and mouth. I couldn’t feel my left leg.”

Tragic accident to be sure......... I sincerely hope he recovers 100% to be able to ride again...!!!

However, his accident has no bearing on this discussion.....

Whether he stays in gear with his hand on his clutch or goes to neutral would have had no affect on his accident.....

Being prepared is never a bad thing, but like the accident referenced above, sometimes there is just nothing you can do to avoid an idiot in a cage running you over...

As for the clutch/neutral debate.... if I am aware of someone coming up behind me, I'll hold the clutch. If traffic is stopped, I'll go to neutral.

I've been riding since 1974. I drive defensively and stay aware, but I don't obsess about getting run over..

Just my 2 cents...

Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
NewAgent
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Exactly what I do too.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Keeper01
Tourer

Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.

I've never taken a MSF course, but this is exactly what I do. I want to be ready if I need an out. A split second could mean getting hit or being able to get out of the way. I also need to be ready to go when splitting lanes as soon as the light turns.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I come to a stop I immediately put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out. Because....my father always told me I would wear out the throw out bearing by keeping it in gear. I'm not a mechanic and I don't know if there's any truth to his throw out bearing theory but I will say that holding the clutch in at a stop light sure does make it start feeling spongy in the heat.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Klown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take an MSF course.

Yep...Everytime

Quick Reply: Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?