Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually it's clutch, but this depends on how long of a wait and how many cars are stopped behind me.

And about having to possibly escape. Being first in line at an intersection and having to evade someone coming up behind you doesn't mean you have to go into the path of the crossing traffic, you can always cut left or right to get out of the way. Going straight through would be idiotic at best.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/wat...?autoplay=true

cheers

Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Another clutch guy, just out of habit. If no one is behind me initially, I watch the mirrors and as a following vehicle approaches, I flash the BAL a time or 2 extra. The escape logic is fine, but I wonder how many stopped vehicles need to be in line behind you before you feel "protected". For me, it is 2. It would take quite a whack to shove 2 stopped vehicles forward enough to hit me, and my line of sight would probably too blocked to see the guilty SOB coming anyway.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.

Many many years ago I was taught to put your right foot down, right hand on the brake/throttle and left foot on the shifter...all the controls are covered that way.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by rockon
I'm a clutch guy, but if I can tell it's going to be a long light then I'll shift it in neutral. Generally by then I've got a few cars stacked up behind me and I'm not as worried about getting run over.

I do this too, every intersection here has red lights and they last a long time. Once I see there are a few cars behind me I put the bike in neutral and rest my left hand.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM
strtglde11
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clutch and trying to watch everything around

Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockon
I'm a clutch guy, but if I can tell it's going to be a long light then I'll shift it in neutral. Generally by then I've got a few cars stacked up behind me and I'm not as worried about getting run over.
This.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vincewd
Neutral most of the time.
Same here! Takes so little time to get neutral, or select a gear.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends. If i know it's a long light and have a vehicle behind me already and want to fish a smoke out of my pocket, it's in neutral, otherwise clutch.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
McFrosty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaAviator
Depends if its just turned red or maybe getting close to green. Usually try to slow up way back and roll up there and never stop if I can work it out.

Mostly clutch in, but if there are cars already stopped behind me and it's gonna be awhile for the light to hit green again- she's in neutral and then wait for that wonderful "CLUNK" & we're off till the next friggn light.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.
Sevveral years ago I was stopped behind a cage in a left turn lane, After we waited about 20 seconds for a green arrow, the cage driver got impatient, or perhaps changed his mind about which way to go, and ****** into reverse to back up and move over into another lane. When his backup lights came on, I hit my horn and he realized he couldn't back up.

If I had my eyes on the mirrors it would have been a bad situation.

Quick Reply: Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?