Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Earl IV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Agreed, I can't understand what all that nonsense is about. But then I only have half a million miles or so under my belt.....
2,000,000 here, admittedly in a much larger vehicle though

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Shortmag
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Poindexter, I guess never was a bad choice of words. If I was speeding towards an inanimate object with no where to go yes I would BAIL off my bike. Am I a danger to all others? I think not. Am I ignorant? again no. Do I know all the answers to every scenario no. What I am trying to say is I am not going to (lay it down) at the first sign of trouble, and am pretty sure no one else will. I was (knocked down) years ago by another rider following to close and to fast. I will continue to watch my mirrors like a hawk in hopes of never being rear ended again. If you dont want to start a pissin match, dont tell people you dont know that they are ignorant.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I think we need a "I had to lay er down thread". You know, separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak. Anyone who thinks that purposely putting a motorcycle on it's side is safer and better than stopping or scrubbing off as much speed as possible while the bike is still on the tires before a collision should abstain from any threads relating to riding technique. I also support the right of those people to not have to wear a helmet, even in helmet states

Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gize
I normally put it in neutral throw down some street cones and a few flares, then I stand at the ready with my 9mm in case anyone tries to cross my barrier until the light turns green <insert extreme sarcasm>.

Is everyone really that paranoid and safety conscious at every light? Sheesh, I'm calling BS.
Awesome! I thought I was the only one that did this! Although I prefer my .45, something about double the slug size makes me feel safer!
I you feel that threatened jump off the bike right before impact and let the insurance buy you a new one.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Hope any newbie riders here can see the difference between the professional advice posted by motorlessons and take up his offer for his manual, and the sitting duck, self-taught, over the top, and often sacastic bike in neutral posts

As for the bike in neutral posters, I hope your luck continues to hold.

Personally, I had and have used and recommended motorlessons' manual more times than I count over the past seven years or so. Happily, I have never had to escape a rear end hit while stopped in heavy North Metro Atlanta traffic and many long distance trips. But will only take avoiding one rear fender hit tomorrow, next week, or whenever to make having good habits to make them worthwhile.

Carl

Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Hope any newbie riders here can see the difference between the professional advice posted by motorlessons and take up his offer for his manual, and the sitting duck, self-taught, over the top, and often sacastic bike in neutral posts

As for the bike in neutral posters, I hope your luck continues to hold.

Personally, I had and have used and recommended motorlessons' manual more times than I count over the past seven years or so. Happily, I have never had to escape a rear end hit while stopped in heavy North Metro Atlanta traffic and many long distance trips. But will only take avoiding one rear fender hit tomorrow, next week, or whenever to make having good habits to make them worthwhile.

Carl
I rarely put mine in neutral and that is if I need to adjust something like my helmet or jacket. I normally will pull off the road to do that. I don't like sitting and waiting.

I have a friend from England that believes you should be in N when at a light to prevent the bike from lurching out into the intersection when hit. Him and I go rounds about that just like on here.

For the new riders head the advice and get the manual, take a riding course, and if you can afford it do the Advance courses offered by Harley. It is amazing what you forget in a year or two from not having to practice certain conditions.

But must important keep the rubber side down and enjoy.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Valkyriae
Novice

Neutral.

I hold the clutch if I know the lights and know they're about to change.

When I first got the bike a few weeks ago it wouldn't shift into Neutral for bloody days, so I was holding the clutch in. Think I've given myself tendonitis in my left hand.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never gave it much thought until I was watching a lady with small hands shift to neutral at every stop. I asked her about it and she said it gave her hands a rest from the clutch lever.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I used to keep it in neutral for long lights in light traffic, but sometimes, finding neutral on the Harley is like trying to find Waldo in a box of peppermint sticks...so usually it's in gear unless I need to give my hand a break or whatnot...

Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM
SPaZZdOG
Advanced

Clutch, as stated earlier I like a way out.