Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always use clutch. I notice that my buddy does the nuetral thing.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
Take an MSF course.

1st gear, left hand clutch, left foot down, right hand brake and/or gas, right foot on brake eyes on the mirrors.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
gize
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally put it in neutral throw down some street cones and a few flares, then I stand at the ready with my 9mm in case anyone tries to cross my barrier until the light turns green <insert extreme sarcasm>.

Is everyone really that paranoid and safety conscious at every light? Sheesh, I'm calling BS.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Earl IV
Tourer

Yeah, the whole "escape" thing has me baffled.

Escape to where? The middle of the intersection where you'll get creamed by crossing traffic?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl IV

Escape to where? The middle of the intersection where you'll get creamed by crossing traffic?

There is only one right answer to this issue. The motor needs to be in first, with the rider set up for a proper escape.

I've seen a few posts to this thread questioning the possibility of making an escape. That bespeaks a glaring shortfall in training.

At a stop, whether you're behind another vehicle, or first in line, it's critical to angle your motorcycle. The idea is not to go in line with traffic to make your escape. It's to clear the encroaching vehicle's path of travel, by moving to either the left or right.

This can only be accomplished by considering the situation as it is developing at each stop. Your best escape route will vary based upon the road's design, and the way other vehicles are positioned. For example, I tend to usually set myself up for an escape to the left. This means I stop angled to the left, and far enough back so that - from that angle - I will not have to steer to get past the the corner of the vehicle in front of me (usually about 12 to 15 feet back. By taking this position, if I see a vehicle approaching that isn't going to stop, I don't need to outrun the vehicle, I need only move forward, and to the left out of its path. If it strikes the vehicle that was ahead of me, so be it.

Of course, things like barriers, vehicles to my left, or the on-coming lane on narrow roads, may make an escape route to the left undesirable or impossible. Then, the set-up is reversed, so the escape is to the right. I cover this in more detail in my booklet Motor Lessons. It's always free. If you'd like it, please e-mail me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Anyone who doubts this level of concern is necessary at every stop is forgoing a chance at protecting themselves. Riding a motorcycle means you're on a vehicle that is not as visible, and offers less protection in the event off a collision, than a car. However, it is also has more maneuverability, and generally better acceleration and braking than a car. Unfortunately, those riders who do not take the time to obtain proper training, and then practice their skills, accept all of the negatives, but gain none of the positives.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 05-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Earl IV

Agreed, I can't understand what all that nonsense is about. But then I only have half a million miles or so under my belt.....

Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive been rear ended, I can promise you there is not enough time to react and get out of the way in alotof instances. I do agree you should always be in first on the clutch and prepared to move but highly doubtful you will evade an accident. It happens quicker then you think.

Last edited by RussH; 05-05-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

[quote=jeff.georgalas;11242545]Really, you need advice on this one? Do whichever you prefer.[/quo

aparently you would bitch about anything..Leave us if you don't have anything positive to say

Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vegashd
neutral always. These people that say they stay in first to escape a wreck are the same people who say "they had to lay it down".... let me translate, you ran out of talent....
While not being one to pat myself on the back, I used to ride the Alligator Enduro the day after it was offically run with a nationally ranked 250cc MX rider. He could never keep up. That being said, I don't know how much "talent" I have but I like to think it's more than most. I've been on two wheels now for over forty years. I've "lay it down" a few times. Once to avoid being killed, twice because "you never no how fast you can go until you fall down" which was the way I was taught to ride at the age of six.

Don't usally pick sides here, but your statement is ignorant.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
vegashd
Banned

Originally Posted by eddiepoindexter
While not being one to pat myself on the back, I used to ride the Alligator Enduro the day after it was offically run with a nationally ranked 250cc MX rider. He could never keep up. That being said, I don't know how much "talent" I have but I like to think it's more than most. I've been on two wheels now for over forty years. I've "lay it down" a few times. Once to avoid being killed, twice because "you never no how fast you can go until you fall down" which was the way I was taught to ride at the age of six.

Don't usally pick sides here, but your statement is ignorant.
No sir, your statement is ignorant. You laid it down because you ran out of talent... Period! You can accelerate, brake and steer faster and you STILL HAVE CONTROL to do more!! You didn't lay it down on purpose, you locked up your brakes or steered to quick panicking! Period!

I'm glad you road endurance races, whoopty do. I've been racing since I was 5 yrs old on pavement and dirt. Plenty of seat time. NO ONE lays it down on purpose. Ill give you an ok enduro of mine and you won't be able to just lay it down... Not as easy as you think.

You avoided most the impact by a panic job which resulted in YOU wrecking. Proper steering, braking and riding techniques might have avoided you to wreck all together.

Quick Reply: Stoplights - Neutral or Clutch?