Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI : Security System SNAFU

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
hevis1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post FYI : Security System SNAFU

7:00AM Sitting on bike (2009 FLHTCU) in parking lot ready to leave work, turned ignition ON, changed gear to neutral, flipped run switch to ON position, pressed the starter button and nothing happened except for the security alarm being activated. Best guess was that the security system key fob wasn't being detected by the security system. Just installed new battery last fall in key fob. Couldn't be anything else I thought. Tapped on the fob a couple times, still nothing, bike won't start. By this time everyone has left the parking lot. I managed to find something to pry open the fob (would've helped if I had a coin in my pocket but didn't) using the key ring. Once I had the fob opened up, I noticed there was two small grey colored marks on the face of the battery where the contacts touch. Cleaned them off (rubbed) with my finger and then removed the battery, checked the other side and cleaned it with the corner of my t-shirt, reinstalled it and snapped the remote back together. Tried one more time to start the bike and PRESTO it started!! Was the corrosion on the battery.
Going forward, I'm going to check the seal on the security fob for any dirt. I'm also going to use a small amount of dielectric grease on the battery face to prevent any corrosion and also to prevent this situation from reoccurring. I always have the remote fob in my jeans pants pocket so I'm guessing the corrosion came from the moisture / heat of being next to my leg over a period of time.

Last edited by hevis1; 05-01-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Good thing you got it started. And a really good tip for those of us who have fobs. I never would have thought they weren't air/moisture tight.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hevis1
7:00AM Sitting on bike (2009 FLHTCU) in parking lot ready to leave work, turned ignition ON, changed gear to neutral, flipped run switch to ON position, pressed the starter button and nothing happened except for the security alarm being activated. Best guess was that the security system key fob wasn't being detected by the security system. Just installed new battery last fall in key fob. Couldn't be anything else I thought. Tapped on the fob a couple times, still nothing, bike won't start. By this time everyone has left the parking lot. I managed to find something to pry open the fob (would've helped if I had a coin in my pocket but didn't) using the key ring. Once I had the fob opened up, I noticed there was two small grey colored marks on the face of the battery where the contacts touch. Cleaned them off (rubbed) with my finger and then removed the battery, checked the other side and cleaned it with the corner of my t-shirt, reinstalled it and snapped the remote back together. Tried one more time to start the bike and PRESTO it started!! Was the corrosion on the battery.
Going forward, I'm going to check the seal on the security fob for any dirt. I'm also going to use a small amount of dielectric grease on the battery face to prevent any corrosion and also to prevent this situation from reoccurring. I always have the remote fob in my jeans pants pocket so I'm guessing the corrosion came from the moisture / heat of being next to my leg over a period of time.
Thanks for the tip

Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info. Another good tip is to know the code to override the system.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Good info. Another good tip is to know the code to override the system.
This is the BEST TIP!!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Another good tip is to know the code to override the system.
If the rider has not set the PIN, they are going to be roadside at some point.

The FOB system is not always 100%, and can be lost, dead battery or even suffer from radio waves interference from other similar devices AND, it has been reported, from gas pump speed pass devices.

setting the PIN makes you look smart- not knowing your PIN ...

also when moteling- make sure the FOB is out of range of the bike when parked...don't leave your keys on the table inside the motel door 8 feet from the bike

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-02-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Set pin, use pin, learn it, never worry about it again.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great tip. Never hurts to practice, practice, practice the over ride code either. Never know, there might be a time when the fob is close to the bike, not on your person, bike fires up, away you go. Stop for gas or a break, then guess what, you are screwed unless you know how to over ride the security system, just sayin.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
Great tip. Never hurts to practice, practice, practice the over ride code either. Never know, there might be a time when the fob is close to the bike, not on your person, bike fires up, away you go. Stop for gas or a break, then guess what, you are screwed unless you know how to over ride the security system, just sayin.
Thats my learn it part...start the bike without the fob around for a week, leave the FOB at home and use only the security pin...then you will never be stuck anyplace. I use the security pin over ride all the time just to get my bike out of my way, rather than chase after the damned FOB.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

+1 on the PIN
However, doesn't hurt to carry a spare battery as well.

Quick Reply: FYI : Security System SNAFU