Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACR and Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default ACR and Power Commander

Is there a way to test the ACRs for proper operation? My 2013 SG seems to turn over slower than I think a bike with compression releases should (about the same as my '09 FXDF used to). I have a Power Commander V that was listed as the correct model for the bike and that seems to be functioning normally.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Not much of a test but ya should hear the ARC at statup. I'm running ARCs and PCV. It was a PITA to get set up but works great now.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Not much of a test but ya should hear the ARC at statup. I'm running ARCs and PCV. It was a PITA to get set up but works great now.
How was it a PITA? Do you mean the wiring of pin 19 and the power hook up along with the reflash? Im having my engine built with these now.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

There may be an easier way, I'm not sure, but you could always do a compression check and compare values with the ACRs enabled vs. disabled. Just remove the system relay to disable the ACRs.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering about PCV (5) and ACR's myself.

With the way the PCV's works and needs to be started a certain way. Run/kill switch off, turn key on, flip run/killswitch on and immediately hit the starter button. Will starting it this way allow the ACR's to open? Or open in time enough to be useful? Because your not waiting for the injectors to prime or the factory starting instructions.

The ACR's are wired in conjunction with the injectors I think, if I read the instructions right, and the PCV gets it's power also from the injectors. The ecm closes the ACR's after the motor roles over once to allow compression to build and fire the motor. Same as manuel releases work.

I have tried wiring my ACR's into the starter relay in the past to avoid having to buy the ACR wiring harness and having the dealer turn on the ACR function in the ECM, but the bike would never fire that way.

I may try wiring in the rear cylinder only to the starter relay to take 1/2 the load off the starter, I'm sure the bike would fire up then on 1 cylinder and then as soon as the starter button is released the rear cylinders ACR will close.

I have the ACR wiring harness just don't want to waist my time installing it if it won't end up working with the PCV anyways. Getting rid of my PCV is not a option ether as I run Nitrous and the PCV is the best tuner to run NO2 with the switchable 2nd map on the fly.

As long as my bike fires on the 1st revolution it's not that bad, I really only need the ACR's at like short stops at the gas station. I ran it all last summer without them hooked up. (it's at least 1 beer stop bike) I am running 11:1 pistons and 198 CCP with a .660 lift cam, just getting over the cam lobes is a bitch by hand with no compression.

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-30-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
How was it a PITA? Do you mean the wiring of pin 19 and the power hook up along with the reflash? Im having my engine built with these now.
Exactly!! Machine shop took forever, instructions suck and dealer screwed the flash up?? ARCs wouldn't close at times?
Works great now! They don't close til the motor fires and I don't do anything special starting it. Glad I did it but was not happy at the time.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Exactly!! Machine shop took forever, instructions suck and dealer screwed the flash up?? ARCs wouldn't close at times?
Works great now! They don't close til the motor fires and I don't do anything special starting it. Glad I did it but was not happy at the time.
I think I am going to try and just wire one ACR up the rear cylinder to the starter relay, I've talked to a couple old time tuners/racers and this has been done before. I will let every1 know how it goes.
They don't understand why it wont fire with both hooked into the starter relay, I don't have a answer for them other than it must be the PCV or unless it could have been my battery. I did just replace my battery this spring.

And yes those instructions were confusing for the ACR wiring harness until you look at them sorta like football squares paper how it's laid out across the top and down the side. letters go across the top and numbers go down the left side, but then they start over agian on the lower block. nothing like MOCO making it simple

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-30-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

they should reduce the compression by about 30psi on compression test. Also every Harley I have had any dealings with start better if you hit the starter button as soon as you switch on. Only exception I have found is when it is cold and engine is cold. It doesn't matter which tuner, it works with stock also. If you have PV, SEPST, TTS you can turn them on/off with the program. PCV won't control them. You can also cut cranking fuel for temps warmer than 32 degrees by 30 to 50% and will help cranking. Will definitely help with the stock compensator hammer when cranking. Cams with 38 to 42 degrees overlap will make start up better too. The 255's are tough on starter and stock cams are next. Early intake closing is culprit on these two. The 255's close 5 degrees before the stock cam. Not meaning to bash the 255's just stating what I have learned. Go look at the numbers.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default cpmpresson guage

i took readings after i did my last cam job--got about 30 lbs less with acrs turned on than i did with them off getting a compression check to check cam timing

Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

When I checked my compression I got -80psi & -55psi with the ACRs enabled. 115/195 & 140/195 (enabled/disabled).

Quick Reply: ACR and Power Commander