Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open or closed loop???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Open or closed loop???

I am not a tuner by all means but what would be the difference if your running in open or closed loop, Say if fuel ratio had to be set to where your running in open loop?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

open loop is when the ECM relies on preset ( canned) maps to alter fuel and ignition timing

closed loop, the ECM takes in data from sensors- esp. the o2 sensors and alters the fuel and ignition timing reacting to the incoming data.

data is often provided as to air temp/ air density, road speed, rpms, gear, motor temperature etc as well by other sensors..incl throttle position

on most vehicles open loop is used when the motor is first turned on, many sensors do not provide reliable data until operating temps are reached.

open loop may also be used for certain conditions such as wide open throttle- or as noted by some riders the motor appears to "cut out" when decelerating past 1800 rpms- the "map" for that condition turns off the fuel for a moment

some of the tuners on the market keep the ecm in open loop or only use some of the sensors and may not use data such as from the o2 sensor.

the o2 sensor tells the ecm if the mixture is lean or rich in real time

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-29-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Open loop simply means there is no feedback to the ECM which means there is no sensing or measuring of the exhaust gas to see how the bike is running. The fuel injected is determined by the RPM and throttle position, derived from fuel injector pulse width numbers stored in the fuel maps, and is trimmed for environmental conditions due to air temperature, air pressure and engine temperature.

Closed loop means there is feedback to the ECM. This sensing is mostly done by the O2 sensors in the exhaust pipes which generate a voltage based on the gas around it.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

It helps to understand the difference in wide-band and narrow-band sensors for this discussion. The HD sensors that come on the bikes are only paying attention and reporting on the low rpm and upper rpm, nothing in the middle.

To really take advantage of a closed loop system you need to add wide-band sensors to fully monitor and then feedback that information across the entire powerband to the ECM.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Closed loop is intended to minimize emissions. That's all it was intended to do. So it tries to run as close as it can to stoichiometric. That's when it has a perfect air to fuel ratio to burn all the fuel.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

As Bingee states, it is for maintaining the engine at a optimum fuel air ratio to use up all the fuel, so any add of a fixed map tuner actually drops the self adjustment characteristics and allows the open loop operation so one can feed more gas whether it does much good or not.

With the basis in mind, why does one have to retune a engine that will self adjust for mods to air filtration or exhaust flows? Seems a unnecessary waste of time and effort. I can see the add of wide band sensors to help speed the process and add more, faster adjustments but not a retune as that would possibly/probably be over written in the ECM over the course of riding.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,789 Likes on 1,352 Posts

For HD closed loop, max adjustment to afr is +/-0.5 if I'm not mistaken.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guy's well explained, I think after I have it tuned with dyno I will purchase the wide band sensors and mabee even autotune module to go with my power vision..

Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper22
Thanks Guy's well explained, I think after I have it tuned with dyno I will purchase the wide band sensors and mabee even autotune module to go with my power vision..
Then skip the dyno and save your money.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
It helps to understand the difference in wide-band and narrow-band sensors for this discussion. The HD sensors that come on the bikes are only paying attention and reporting on the low rpm and upper rpm, nothing in the middle.

To really take advantage of a closed loop system you need to add wide-band sensors to fully monitor and then feedback that information across the entire powerband to the ECM.
You may want to review both statements as I think someone has given you some false information.

(A) Sensors, either wide or narrow, are capable of "paying attention" to cells in the upper, lower, and MIDDLE.

(B) Readily available sensors (wide or narrow band) will NOT sample across the "entire powerband" - both have upper and lower limits.

Quick Reply: Open or closed loop???