Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Perforated Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM
graysonbornhunter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Perforated Leather Jacket

Do any of you have experiense with perforated leather jacket? I'm going to be riding all summer in 80-100 degree where I live. I love my Fox Creek Leather jacket but it is too hot for summer time. I considered a mesh jacket but I want the protection and I think the leather would offer more.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Give you a little bump here since I'm curious about this as well. I will say that my harley leather jacket has vents all over and I'm shocked at how well they open it up to air when i have the zippers open.

I saw a guy at a ride with a perforated vest that looked really sharp, I'm still kicking myself for not asking him what brand it was.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Fox Creek Leather
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Perforated Leather

I'm glad you like Fox Creek Leather jacket and I wanted to let you know that we can make any of our jackets out of perforated leather. Because we make these jackets as they are ordered there is a wait time and if you want one you will want to order soon to beat the heat. We carry a Vented Summer Riding Jacket that is made without the liner and out of 1.0 to 1.2 leather and a Semi-Perforated Full Back Vest.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
jake.h
Tourer

The leather guys will tell you that leather is the best. I wear leather in the winter, mesh in the summer. Leather has a number of vulnerabilities that mesh does not have. High quality, kelvar-cordura mesh can have greater tear and abrasion strength. I love my jacket from Motoport. Hold it up to the light and you can see right through it (except for where the armor is). Used by local police as well.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...cles&Itemid=22

Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

living in the dessert where it is 110-120 easy I still wear protection and I try to avoid 12-4 ride, I can tell you that that does not always happen, and I wear mesh leather. ride safe!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jake.h
The leather guys will tell you that leather is the best. I wear leather in the winter, mesh in the summer. Leather has a number of vulnerabilities that mesh does not have. High quality, kelvar-cordura mesh can have greater tear and abrasion strength. I love my jacket from Motoport. Hold it up to the light and you can see right through it (except for where the armor is). Used by local police as well.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...cles&Itemid=22
and I thought Vanson Leathers and Mesh Jackets/Shirts were expensive...........$400 for a long sleeve mesh shirt.....right.....

Old 04-27-2013, 02:42 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

HD Mesh with armor is what I ride in.
As long as you are moving, you can bear it.
Face it, it's all hot at 100 down here.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
103megawatt
Cruiser

I have been wearing a perforated black leather jacket for years during the Summer season out here in the desert. I wear leather for the obvious wear protection but also for the reason that many people don't even think about, and that is how hot the street surface is that will be cooking your skin while you lay there unconscious until medical help arrives. If you can't move due to an injury it will only take a few minutes laying down on black asphalt to seriously damage your skin.

Right now the air temp is 86F and the asphalt is reading 119F. If you believe in your riding gear go put it on and lay down on the street and see how good it is. I have seen on 100F days the street temp to get over 135F. I have had mesh jackets in the past and while they are super convient to store, carry, and move around in I only have textile and non perforated leather for winter and perforated leather for Summer. Whatever you use, any jacket is better than no jacket.

If your moving everything is comfortable, once you stop yes the leather jacket is going to make you sweat until you start moving again.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Coach1
Tourer

I bought a perforated HD jacket when I lived in Florida. It was too hot to ever attemp it for a ride. It is a beautiful jacket, but I have yet to test it out on the bike. I have worn it on cool days, out and about, in the car, but not for what it is intended.....maybe this year before it gets hot...but here in the south it seems we go from winter right into summer.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM
jake.h
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
and I thought Vanson Leathers and Mesh Jackets/Shirts were expensive...........$400 for a long sleeve mesh shirt.....right.....
I think this statement is a little misleading. The shirts appear to be designed for different uses (e.g., uniforms),while being constructed with the same material. I bought my jacket from these guys for about 450 back in 08. Plus, not all mesh is the same. Many manufacturers coat their mesh with polyurethane, which melts into the skin. I think paying 400-500 bucks for a top of the line mesh jacket seems reasonable to me. Interesting which product your post focused on...

Quick Reply: HD Perforated Leather Jacket