Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Road Glide fit in 8 ' truck bed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will a Road Glide fit in 8 ' truck bed?

Will a Road Glide fit in 8 ' truck bed? I know it fits but can the tailgate close with the bike loaded. The specs say the bike is 98.7 the bed is just a tad over 96. If the bike is loaded diagonally with the front wheel turned will the tailgate close? I tow a travel trailer and there isn't enough clearance to leave the tailgate down. I don't have ramp yet so I can't try it now, just wondered if anyone else has done it.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be close, if u leave the tailgate open it shouldn't be a problem

Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or, you could squirm it around a bit and get the tailgate closed.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Will a Road Glide fit in 8 ' truck bed? I know it fits but can the tailgate close with the bike loaded. The specs say the bike is 98.7 the bed is just a tad over 96. If the bike is loaded diagonally with the front wheel turned will the tailgate close? I tow a travel trailer and there isn't enough clearance to leave the tailgate down. I don't have ramp yet so I can't try it now, just wondered if anyone else has done it.
I've got ramps to get the bike in the back of a pickup. I really don't think I would advise it. Getting the bike up the ramp into the truck bed is precarious enough. Especially the first time! You really need to go straight up the ramps. Once you are up there, I don't see how there is enough room to maneuver the bike to get it diagonal. You might be able to, but the first time you ride that bike up the ramp into the truck, your rear is going to be so tight, you'll be happy just to strap the bike down. Even if you are lucky enough to have an elevated place to set the ramp so the incline isn't that great, there is no guarantee there will be one at the other end of your trip. Be careful and good luck!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Rucker00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This link might give you some ideas, but it doesn't solve the problem of whether or not your tail gate is going to shut. It might provide some ideas on how to SAFELY get you bike into the back of your truck. Being that the RG is so big and it looks like it could be top heavy, I wouldn't feel very comfortable putting it in sideways, that's too much trust in the tie-down straps and tie-down points in the event you have to break hard. Another option is taking the tailgate off for the trip, then you don't have to worry about it.

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/trailer/truckin.htm

Last edited by Rucker00; 04-26-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck squirming that beast around in a truck bed.

Just ride it straight in and remove the tailgate if it causes clearance issues with your trailer.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

A RoadGlide will fit in an 8' bed, if you leave the tailgate down.
I once loaded mine into my Dodge pickup, just for ***** & giggles. When I tried to shut the tailgate, it made contact with the muffler tips, so it was a no go.
Having said that, I decided that if I was going to transport it, I would have to get a wheel chock for the front before I would feel comfortable. Replacement parts are just too expensive to be taking chances.
Another problem is getting that big sob into the back of the truck. Unless I had a level freight dock or something like that, I would not even try loading it. Again, replacement parts (broken bones) are just to expensive to be taking chances. No way would I ride it up a single ramp. I don't have the tea bags for that any more.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Most domestic tailgates easily pop off in under 60 seconds. Take the tailgate off, wrap it in a shipping blanket and lay it in the trailer. I'm sure you're already aware of it, but just be sure to securely fasten the bike down, in the bed and you'll be fine.

As others have suggested, just be careful loading and unloading it. Having a good hill or incline to back the truck up to, when you load/unload will be a huge help. This is, by no means impossible. Just execute proper planning, and you'll be fine

Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
DCaliendo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another choice. Met this guy at a Dealer Appreciation Day and was impressed with the design and quality.

http://www.powerdecks.com/product_di...otorcycle-Deck

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
leotisbrown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just make sure there is a video of your attempts

Quick Reply: Will a Road Glide fit in 8 ' truck bed?