Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory wheel and tire won't balance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM
ryansmull
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory wheel and tire won't balance

I took my wheels to and indy shop to have new tires put on. While balancing the rear one, it came up with it being to far out of balance, i.e. needing to much weight than is allowed/advised. he said the wheel is junk and that i would need a new one. The wheel is the same one that i"ve had since i bought the bike and this is the 3rd tire i've had on the wheel. i haven't had a problem before and i'm wondering whats going on. anybody have the same thing happen?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryansmull
I took my wheels to and indy shop to have new tires put on. While balancing the rear one, it came up with it being to far out of balance, i.e. needing to much weight than is allowed/advised. he said the wheel is junk and that i would need a new one. The wheel is the same one that i"ve had since i bought the bike and this is the 3rd tire i've had on the wheel. i haven't had a problem before and i'm wondering whats going on. anybody have the same thing happen?
The centering spindle could be loose or even one of its sensors.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
RoadKinghd60
Intermediate

from some shmo who is not an expert. Why not take the tire off the rim. rotate 180 degrees remount and try again? Just a thought.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM
ryansmull
2nd Gear

The indy guy took it to another place(i think a actual dealer) and he said they came up with the same thing. I should have mentioned that it did have a small dent in the rim that i removed( i'm a tool and die maker and have the tools to measure and straighten it) and it still came up with being unbalanceable.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
ryansmull
2nd Gear

"from some shmo who is not an expert. Why not take the tire off the rim. rotate 180 degrees remount and try again? Just a thought"

He tried that also. no luck.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Take it to a sport bike shop. They will balance it for you at a reasonable cost.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Did he trying spinning up just the wheel without a tire on the balance machine for ***** and giggles? Maybe coincidentally a heavy spot on the tire and a heavy spot of the wheel happened to line up.....

Adam

Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires can be way out of balance by themselves due to a problem with manufacturing. Metzlers had serious issues with this a few years ago with tires from Brazil or Mexico ( I forgot which one). The only way to determine which is at fault, the wheel or the tire, is to check the bare wheel on the balance machine. Plus, if its an old balancer machine, the machine can be off too. All of these factors need looking into before you run out & buy a new wheel.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The last rear tire I had installed at the dealer they had trouble balancing it,and the discovered I had a bearing gone.Two new bearing and no problem.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 PM
SSTuner
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree on getting the bearings check.

Quick Reply: Factory wheel and tire won't balance