Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 RKC Chrome Hand Control project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 AM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Default '12 RKC Chrome Hand Control project

I recently got the Kuryakyn Iso Grips and put them on my RKC. The look of the chrome grips on the stock black hand controls/housings/buttons doesn't look the best in my eyes.

So instead of waiting until next year, I decided to get the chroming of the hand controls done this spring. I've looked up the parts (going with H-D) and what not but want to be 100% sure that I got everything before I order.

I'm hoping someone who has done this type of project or knows about it can help me double check I got all the correct chrome parts. I want all the black gone.

What else will I need if anything?

Part # 46099-98: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-09-4609998--1

Part # 70228-96C: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...09-7022896c--1

Part # 71808-03: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-09-7180803--1

Thanks for any help! It's much appreciated.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 AM
DC4MVP
Tourer

bump.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also going to need the perches for clutch and brake. On the brake side this will include the brake reservoir. If you have ABS then you will need someone to bleed the brakes to get all the air out (cant do it by hand like non abs brakes). Then the stock levers will stand out not being chrome so you will need chrome levers.

Double check this is correct for your bike

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-09-4211708--1

This comes with the reservoir cover so you wouldn't need to order it separate either.

I went with a contrast look to break up the chrome. Chrome levers, Switches, reservoir cover, and chrome bolts for housings and perches.

Last edited by bberck; 04-26-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
Also going to need the perches for clutch and brake. On the brake side this will include the brake reservoir. If you have ABS then you will need someone to bleed the brakes to get all the air out. Then stock levers will stand out so will need chrome levers.

I went with a contrast look to break up the chrome. Chrome levers, Switches, reservoir cover, and chrome bokts for housings and perches.

I did mine in all chrome (buttons and housings) but I really like that contrast look you have going on there. VERY nice!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cubalz
I did mine in all chrome (buttons and housings) but I really like that contrast look you have going on there. VERY nice!
Thanks

I did this on my last bike with plans of adding the chrome housings and perches later but after doing it I liked it better. A lot cheaper plus didn't have to mess with abs on this bike.

Last bike

Last edited by bberck; 04-26-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also going to need the perches for clutch and brake. On the brake side this will include the brake reservoir. If you have ABS then you will need someone to bleed the brakes to get all the air out. Then stock levers will stand out so will need chrome levers.

I went with a contrast look to break up the chrome. Chrome levers, Switches, reservoir cover, and chrome bokts for housings and perches.

I did this also accept with I went with chrome perches.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

Also going to need the perches for clutch and brake. On the brake side this will include the brake reservoir. If you have ABS then you will need someone to bleed the brakes to get all the air out (cant do it by hand like non abs brakes). Then the stock levers will stand out not being chrome so you will need chrome levers.
Jeesh, $400.

I think I may end up leaving a bit of it black after all at least for now.

The black on the master cylinder doesn't look as bad as I thought it would with the other chrome there.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
Jeesh, $400.

The black on the master cylinder doesn't look as bad as I thought it would with the other chrome there.
You can do it like mine for probably just under $200 and that's for levers, switches, chrome bolts and reservoir cover. If after that you want to do more you can always add it. Like I said that was my plan on the last bike but was so happy with the look I never added anymore.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
Jeesh, $400.

kuryakyn covers may be the solution? looks good and lot less expensive

Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

You can do it like mine for probably just under $200 and that's for levers, switches, chrome bolts and reservoir cover. If after that you want to do more you can always add it. Like I said that was my plan on the last bike but was so happy with the look I never added anymore.
Yea, I got it priced for about $200 from my dealer who is usually $10-15 off Harley MSRP parts. Obviously going to do it myself since it seems like a pretty straight forward project.

I'm also going to look at the after-market parts and see what they're offering.

I wonder if you can just buy one big kit for them instead of 3 different parts?