Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member of stolen saddlebag club

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013 | 09:30 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by John_HD
Good stuff. I like the Home depot kit. But I need something that doesn't protrude into the bag like those wing nuts. I know I'll be scraping myself all the time.

Also how does this help when the theif can just pry the back of the lid a little to release the two latches, then unscrew the bag?
John, I'm no thief just so you know, but I'd say every second you add to a thief's effort to steal your stuff is a big detriment to them. They want quick n' fast. I'm sure they scope out targets, and when they see bolts and not the HD pins, they'll move on to easier prey. If they really want your stuff they're taking it, but with multiple targets they'll pass on the difficult ones.

Old 04-25-2013 | 09:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by John_HD
Good stuff. I like the Home depot kit. But I need something that doesn't protrude into the bag like those wing nuts. I know I'll be scraping myself all the time.

Also how does this help when the thief can just pry the back of the lid a little to release the two latches, then unscrew the bag?
if they've gone as far as to break into the bags it doesn't much matter anymore.

this hardware will only slow someone down.

the stock pins are easily released with THE BAG CLOSED using a long screwdriver- in seconds.

then the bag is just carried away.

the lock can be drilled out, or the latch hardware pulled off- or whatever they do in the comfort of their trailer

the wing bolts don't much stick into the bags- I've never even though about that

the popular 'security' hardware bits are sold at harbor freight and other places for $1... the key is to make the removal of the bag harder.

Even tying a shoelace between the rings on the stock pins will keep them from being backed out

scumbags are looking for the easy mark, they don;t want to spend alot of time 'cause they;ll get caught

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-25-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2013 | 09:39 AM
John_HD
Tourer

Yeah, I guess. I'll try to pry my two latches to see how easy it is or isn't. My concern is more for what I have in my bag than the bag itself. So I guess I'm saying I'm looking for a solution which helps keep the lid closed.

Old 04-25-2013 | 09:46 AM
ndnguyd
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Took the side covers... Those are bolted on and take time to get off on my ride. Some one DID know what they needed and how to get it.

Check your home owners for personal property coverage. Maybe the deductible is a little less and you can recover without a big loss.

We sure have become a nation of thieves, thugs and gangsters.

BTW, on your taxes you can claim losses like this.
Side covers are pretty easy to pop off, all the ones I have seen just push into a rubber nipple. Once the bags are off they remove very easy.

Old 04-25-2013 | 09:49 AM
aces25
Road Master

If you're worried about scraping yourself getting stuff in and out of the bags, you could always use a low head thumb screw rather than a wingnut. They are more expensive though. Or you could grind down the wingnut to make it lower profile.

Old 04-25-2013 | 09:57 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcp0330
Well it happened to me last night in Palmdale, CA. Bags and side covers stolen from my 2012 Ultra Limited. What really kills me is that I have had the secure saddlebag kit for about 4 months and was too lazy to take a few minutes to install the bolts. If you have been putting off making the change, don't wait. Also, in addition to the bags I lost my leathers, first aid kit and other clothing. At least Geico is covering the bags and side covers for me, but still out the $500 deductible and replacement costs for leathers.
I bought the Brukus saddlebagsecure stuff a month or so ago too, but haven't bothered putting it on. I figured I would do it before my next long trip. I might accelerate my thinking on that! Were you parked someplace in daylight or were you parked overnight?

Old 04-25-2013 | 10:02 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

i bought the speed nuts and 1- 1/2 long button head allens and also put nylock nuts on the protruding threads. takes alittle while longer to r+r but you can't get the bags without a allen wrench and open end wrench.

Old 04-25-2013 | 10:08 AM
slothy
Road Warrior

JUST GET 4 5/16 U CLIP NUTS and 4 5/16 security screws.

the prob with wing nuts, is the lock on latch is very easy to pop with a screw driver and well the wingsnuts will slow them down about 5 secs.

not saying that having the security bolts makes it fool proof, since you can buy te tools to remove them at any store. but more likey to slow/stop someone vs wing nuts and not having to worry about the space/scraping yourself in the bags.

Old 04-25-2013 | 10:23 AM
cubalz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by notrailers
Has anyone seen a system that is basically a pad lock and a machined shaft?
That is a brilliant idea AND it would make it easier to get the bags on and off after you remove the padlock.

Old 04-25-2013 | 10:37 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by jcp0330
Well it happened to me last night in Palmdale, CA. Bags and side covers stolen from my 2012 Ultra Limited. What really kills me is that I have had the secure saddlebag kit for about 4 months and was too lazy to take a few minutes to install the bolts. If you have been putting off making the change, don't wait. Also, in addition to the bags I lost my leathers, first aid kit and other clothing. At least Geico is covering the bags and side covers for me, but still out the $500 deductible and replacement costs for leathers.
This horse has been beaten to death ... and it's simply a matter of fact that the security of the bags is one of the ( if not the most ) shortcomings of the Bagger. It doesn't take more than a half hour ( no matter which type of fastener you choose to use ) to install a deterrent that will keep honest people honest and to slow down the unscrupulous bastards that would steal from anyone ( probably even their own mother ) who has something that they want. "jcp", I hope that the low lifes that took your parts are caught ( highly unlikely ) and brought to justice soon ( Let's bring back the Stockade in the public square, along with flogging ). The one thing that all of us can do is beware of your surroundings, take measures to secure your scooter properly.. and ( this is really one of the most important factors in my estimation ) is when you run across someone selling parts and or accessories with a price that sounds too good to be true, or has "several sets of whatever" be suspicious ... very suspicious. because they are ( usually ) one of those social degenerates who has helped himself to something that once belonged to someone such as yourself.

Quick Reply: New member of stolen saddlebag club