Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added 18 inch rim and now the ABS will not go out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
06_ironhorse
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Added 18 inch rim and now the ABS will not go out.

So i finally was able to order my rear 18 inch DNA 52 spoke to match the front 21 inch and the damn ABS blinks like is should when you first start out, then it stays solid. I took the bike to the dealership and let them charge me $44 to tell me the the machine called out the rear ABS sensor, but that it was not guaranteed to fix the problem. Also, since I had aftermarket rims on the bike, ESP would not cover it. So i got the part and installed it myself, no change. So I took the rim off and took it to the dealer today so they could at least tell me if the ABS bearing was installed correctly, and it is. The service manager took me into the office and wrote out this elaborate picture detailing how the abs, ecm, and ecu all work together to make the abs do what is does. He then tells me, according to the HD service techs, there is no fix for this problem and some bikes experience this problem and some don't when they upgrade to a bigger rim, and they (HD) do not plan to address this problem because it is common among customer who upgrade to larger diameter rims. What baffles me the most is when i was in the show room waiting i noticed that the CVO's have 18inch rear rims so how do they not have the same problem? I did not check to see if they had ABS installed, but i would assume they do. Has anyone else had this problem when converting from a 16 to 18 inch rear rim? it makes no sense to me. DNA told me 2weeks ago via KC International that they were sending out a new set of bearings, but i have yet to receive them. The dealership wants me to bring the entire bike back down so they can have one of their pros go over the problem himself. It makes no sense to me that DNA would not at least list this as a possibility of happening so that I at least have peace of mind in knowing that it is a common problem. I have taken my rim off and on about 20 times since installing my new rim and I just cant get my head around what is causing the problem when all i did was change from a 16 to 18 inch rim. If anyone else has had this problem PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THE FIX WAS OR IF YOU JUST SAID "F it" and let the light stay on, along with losing your abs. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

You don't state what year your bike is, but I went from a 16" to an 18" rear wheel on my '08 Street Glide and have had zero problems with the ABS. Is it possible I'm one of the lucky ones according to your Service Manager? I say he's blowing smoke. Wish I could offer a solution. Maybe try another dealer or Indy that has a Digital Tech.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM
06_ironhorse
Cruiser

Originally Posted by The Q
You don't state what year your bike is, but I went from a 16" to an 18" rear wheel on my '08 Street Glide and have had zero problems with the ABS. Is it possible I'm one of the lucky ones according to your Service Manager? I say he's blowing smoke. Wish I could offer a solution. Maybe try another dealer or Indy that has a Digital Tech.
Sorry about that. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic

Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You went from, a 17" (?) to a 21" in the front, any problems there?

Isn't the difference in overall diameter less than inch between the 16 and 18?

Put your old wheel back on and see if the light goes out, if so, probably some thing wrong with the bearing in the new wheel.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

ABS bearing is installed first, orange side in, then inner spacer then opposite side bearing is seated just enough to touch the inner spacer. Too much pressure on the abs side can damage the outer race containing the encoder. New bearings installed correctly should solve your issue. Torque rear axle nut to no more than 105 ft lbs.

Ps...Rem to install the abs sensor ring against the index pin on the caliper bracket or you will have issues.

Also, If the abs bearing is exposed to a magnetic field prior to install, it can be damaged as well.

The only way to know its done right is to do it yourself.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
06_ironhorse
Cruiser

Originally Posted by senna
You went from, a 17" (?) to a 21" in the front, any problems there?

Isn't the difference in overall diameter less than inch between the 16 and 18?

Put your old wheel back on and see if the light goes out, if so, probably some thing wrong with the bearing in the new wheel.
no problems at all going to a 21 inch front rim. I thought deeply about putting the stock rear back on, but since i had my indy transfer the stock rotor to the new rim it would be a big hassle to do it again. I am considering buying the same Snap-On Torque bit that he used to get the rotor off so i can do it my self, the 45 Torque that I bought from Autozone just twisted all to hell when i tried to change it over myself. I am willing to bet it's the bearing, but wont be able to tell until the new bearings get here and i have them installed in front of me

Last edited by 06_ironhorse; 04-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i think your sm is blowing smoke. i went from a 16 to an 18 and had no issues whatsoever. i'm also running a 2010.