Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bummed out over Big Bore

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bummed out over Big Bore

I bought a big bore kit that includes new cylinders and fitted pistons. 10.1.25 compression. I'm installing on my 2001 EGC with 34k on the clock. I also ordered newer 96 heads so I would get improved flow, but that deal fell through. Now I'm stuck with my stock 88 heads. Sine the pistons have a slight dome, I'm afraid I will need head work to complete. I wanted to do this project myself, but it look like I may have to take it to a local Chopper shop to have it fitted right. What issues do you see I will run into. The Big Bore kit said it is a straight bolt on and is made at V-Twin Manufacturing. Does any have experience with V-Twin? Any Dvise would be very helpful. Thanks guys

Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Compression releases will be needed. Other than that, I'm not sure you'll need anything else. The newer heads and/or work done on your stockers would nice if you can afford it.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master

Yea, that's the crutch, if I can afford it. But thanks

Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
ChromeDomeDWG
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with V-Twin's big bore kits but have done some front end work on a custom chopper with a V-Twin front end... very nice quality and helpful folks... if its the 95" kit I've seen you should be fine with stock heads... although having them ported and polished would do more for performance...

Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM
ChromeDomeDWG
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s...102_3291648_-1

If thats the kit its only 9.3:1... comp releases are not a must...

Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I didn't do the head work yet on my recently installed 98" kit. I love it so far. Heads will get done next winter. Couldn't afford it myself.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master

Thanks guys

Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I am not a fan of V twin- it is the way to go when nothing else is available...their "repro" parts for early models often need massaging, grinding and or bending to fit.

so I hope your kit is better quality.

The heads were the performance weal point on teh early twin cams- the smartest thing would be to match the heads to the other motor parts, and your cams and induction, exhaust and gearing.

to make the correct part selection is a judgement call and I would suggest you get professional help assembling the motor so that you have good, reliable, predictable results.
that would include inspecting the vTwin kit and matching the pistons, rings and gap to the bore. weighing the pistons to match them which will ensure a balanced motor.

you may as well make the first go at this project the last

mike

Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
richie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
I bought a big bore kit that includes new cylinders and fitted pistons. 10.1.25 compression. I'm installing on my 2001 EGC with 34k on the clock. I also ordered newer 96 heads so I would get improved flow, but that deal fell through. Now I'm stuck with my stock 88 heads. Sine the pistons have a slight dome, I'm afraid I will need head work to complete. I wanted to do this project myself, but it look like I may have to take it to a local Chopper shop to have it fitted right. What issues do you see I will run into. The Big Bore kit said it is a straight bolt on and is made at V-Twin Manufacturing. Does any have experience with V-Twin? Any Dvise would be very helpful. Thanks guys
I have a set of 96" heads off of a 2007 Fatboy, less than 5K on them , great shape, you can have them for 165.00 plus shipping if you want . Should bolt right on to your 2001 ,about 20% improved air flow , better beehive springs,etc. PM me if you are interested.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master

PM sent to Richie

Quick Reply: Bummed out over Big Bore