Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line quick disconnect fied

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's "fied"?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,182 Likes on 5,018 Posts

its what large fingered people typing, call "fixed"

Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
poprivit
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 640 Likes on 198 Posts
Default 07 fuel tank swap

I've got a 07 FLHT. Who was the source for the bigger fuel tank? Also, anyone able to find 16 inch radial tires for a Bagger?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel line quick disconnect fied-l1000270.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Lightbulb

[quote=StreetGliderRider;11208634]So, I swap out my tank from a 5 gal. to a 6 gal and after completion don't you know the chrome coupler was leaking. After a few choice words, I turn to one place thatIknow has the answer (no not the stealer) HD FORUM. There is a rubber o-ring inside the coupler that could dry up or get pinched while re-installing the fuel line if you try to get it from the stealer, they tell you it is not sold seperately and you have to buy a new coupler that requires you to remove the fuel pump and float assambly because of the line that connects the coupler to the pump for mucho denero $$$. One post mention that the oil drain plug o-ring is the same as the fuel line o-ring, BANG problem solved HD part #11105, it works trust me no more leak. That said I want to once again thank the professional people of this wonderful forum. [/quote

I have this same problem, started all by itself yesterday. Got the same info as you from the stealer, but I knew there had to be a better way, and I just happen to have that o-ring handy. Do you have any suggestions on how to remove the old one and replace the new one? I know about the vaseline trick to hold it in place.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Hogleyripper
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also for future reference it is a 10mm o ring. I just went threw the same problem on my bike. Advanced auto had it for $2. Standard sized o rings will not seal right.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Plus since they are used on the oil plug, you know they are oil/fuel resistent....or so we hope!!!!

Another tip to put into the vault for future use.....

Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 780 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by poprivit
I've got a 07 FLHT. Who was the source for the bigger fuel tank? Also, anyone able to find 16 inch radial tires for a Bagger?
Dunlop Elite 3s come in a radial version. I have seen no user reports on those tires or on any radials on Harleys.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Dunlop Elite 3s come in a radial version. I have seen no user reports on those tires or on any radials on Harleys.
say what!!!!!! I know they are both round, black and have a hole in the middle but what the hell are you talking about............this is a post about o-rings......

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,857 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGliderRider
So, I swap out my tank from a 5 gal. to a 6 gal and after completion don't you know the chrome coupler was leaking. After a few choice words, I turn to one place thatIknow has the answer (no not the stealer) HD FORUM. There is a rubber o-ring inside the coupler that could dry up or get pinched while re-installing the fuel line if you try to get it from the stealer, they tell you it is not sold seperately and you have to buy a new coupler that requires you to remove the fuel pump and float assambly because of the line that connects the coupler to the pump for mucho denero $$$. One post mention that the oil drain plug o-ring is the same as the fuel line o-ring, BANG problem solved HD part #11105, it works trust me no more leak. That said I want to once again thank the professional people of this wonderful forum.
Not that it will make any difference to me personally since I ride an '09, but did you put a late model 6 gallon tank on your '07 and if so, what problems did you run into? I had heard this was not just a bolt on.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Here's a follow up to my last post. There's another thread ("Major Fuel Leak") which discusses this problem and in fact has drawings and photos of the check valve. There are 2 O-rings in the valve, a smaller one which holds the poppet in, and a larger one which makes the seal with the fuel line connector-the larger one is closest to the opening, and uses the same O-ring, that the MOCO uses for the drain plug (11273) , and yes, I did double check the dimensions and it and it has the same dimensions (ID .414", OD .558" and thickness .072".) as n8dc mentioned in his post. The entire job took 45 minutes, would have been shorter but I removed the damaged O-ring "backwards" sitting on an upside-down bucket with a flashlight, dental mirror, and automotive pick. Having learned my lesson, I installed the new o-ring lying on my back looking up at the valve, took about 5 minutes. I put a little petroleum jelly on the O-ring to smooth the placement a bit. Bike started right up, no leaking (yet). My only concern is that the o-ring is rubber, rather than viton or nitrile, but I suppose if rubber is good enough for the MOCO, it's good enough for me, at least for now. AND, I'm really glad I didn't have to open up the tank and replace the entire valve assembly. But, it IS EFFED up that the MOCO wants you to spend $45 and who knows how much in labor to fix what appears to be a relatively common and easily remedied problem. I wonder if a viton or nitrile o-ring might last longer than the stock rubber one..

Quick Reply: Fuel line quick disconnect fied