Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smallest DOT Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 AM
ThinkWired
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be a downer as well but this helmet will fail DOT like the rest.

If it seems to good to be true it is.

You can bet every time someone starts a new "what is the smallest DOT helmet on the market" thread, the answer to that question will eventually wind up failing the DOT test and being recalled. How many times have we seen it before?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
I finally bit the bullet and got an acc beanie. They were dot certified until about 2 years ago. Apparently they 'met' dot certification but did not 'exceed' dot so they lost the dot stamp. They are an interwoven mix of carbon fiber and kevlar. It's the lowest profile and lightest I have ever seen.
Where does this info come from? Sounds hooky to me. It's incredibly easy to make a DOT helmet. Make any size/weight helmet you want, put a DOT sticker on it, and submit info on it to NHTSA. In other words, it doesn't even have to be close to DOT certifications to get the sticker. The helmet company can sticker anything they want. The real test is when the NHTSA tests that helmet at random. THEN you find out if it is real. IF the ACC "met" certification as you say, then they would have kept the sticker. I wish the ACC was DOT. I was sold on the ACC and reeeeally wanted to buy one. The materials used made it seem like the real deal. I'd love for them to try again, make a change towards DOT, do a new model, and slap a DOT cert on it. From what I have seen though ACC is just totally soured by it and is done. Makes me wonder what really went down. Obviously it isn't stopping Outlaw from trying again.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know how the Daytona matches up against the Skid Lid and AK-88.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Deadeyejack
Stage IV
Default Akoury AK 88 helmet

I got the Akoury AK 88 helmet today.

Great customer service from Isaac, when I sent an email with a question on sizing. I had a response email back within the hour.

I ordered on July 13th received on July 19th = Fast delivery!

Awesome fit, I ordered a Medium. I own three other helmets in Medium, Bell Rogue, AFX and Outlaw. The fit on the AK88 is perfect. I ordered my size base on Akoury's size chart and it is the correct size.

The strap is well designed. Best strap I have used on a helmet and compared to any of the three helmets I currently own.

The paint finish is evenly sprayed and as good as the Bell. The Bell helmet has the best finish compared to the Outlaw and the AFX.

The padding and lining are as good as the other three helmets I have. The Bell helmet might have the best quality material of the three, and it is very comfortable.

The AK88 helmet is the lowest profile DOT helmet I've seen. Its Profile is lower than AFX or the Outlaw by far. Which are similar in design? I can't compare to the Bell Rogue because it's a vastly different design.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hynsonx
I just received my new helmet today the ak88.
Just now noticing you aren't very far away from me. Thinking about ordering one but can't decide which one. How would you rate them for sizing? My head measures 22.5 with the tape at the top of my eyebrows abd the top of my ears. Would you gues that is a medium? I'd guess I'm usually a medium but my present Daytona is a large and fits great when wearing a dewrag with built in sweatband.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Dave's 1stHog
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Dave's 1stHog
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now THAT is funny right there, I don't care who you are lol

Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkWired
I hate to be a downer as well but this helmet will fail DOT like the rest.

If it seems to good to be true it is.

You can bet every time someone starts a new "what is the smallest DOT helmet on the market" thread, the answer to that question will eventually wind up failing the DOT test and being recalled. How many times have we seen it before?
And the DOT test is just another bunch if government crap.

They won't even test a helmet if it is under their minimum thickness. It could be the biggest crap styrofoam padding but it gets a chance.

The most high tech proven padding under the most advances carbon/Kevlar shell won't even be tested because its 1/8 inch too narrow.

This could offer ten times the protection of a styrofoam helmet, but that doesn't matter.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM
harryscott
Novice

Originally Posted by 2011FXDC
THANK YOU !!

I don't know why some feel the need to add their "Mr. Safety" advice. I had some of the same comments when I posted about my Outlaw helmet. If they choose to wear a full face or heaviest padded helmet then by all means do it. I think by the looks of it most can make up their own mind if they're willing to "risk" wearing a small helmet. I am.. To those of you who are not, move along. Why bother even posting..?

To the OP thanks for the post. I'll be ordering one soon...
Totally agree! I live in PA, don't need a helmet, but am searching for a thin DOT helmet. Love the input from people on the subject but don't preach to me about your safe helmet. Hell I don't even need one!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 AM
ThinkWired
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harryscott
Totally agree! I live in PA, don't need a helmet, but am searching for a thin DOT helmet. Love the input from people on the subject but don't preach to me about your safe helmet. Hell I don't even need one!
1. I dont think anyone was preaching about safety, most of us were just saying that this helmet was not DOT. I dont care if anyone wears a helmet or not, I'm just saying, this helmet is not DOT approved. That said, I still wear it!

2. To say you dont want someone to preach about a safe helmet in one breath and then say that you're looking for a small DOT helmet in the next breath is a bit of a contradiction.

If you're looking for a small DOT helmet and that DOT rating is important to you, then pick another helmet because this one is not DOT approved.

Quick Reply: Smallest DOT Helmets