Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smallest DOT Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 AM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default D.o.t.

I'm not sure of all the stats that the Department of Transport uses to 'validate' a helmet as DOT certified. I've seen shows on TV that show them dropping weights from different levels to see if the shell cracks but I don't recall them measuring the transfer force (for a lack of a better word) to the skull/brain. So, my question is, 'what makes a helmet DOT certified?'
p.s.: I wear a half helmet

Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Sorry man, it sure seemed to me like you weren't pickin' up what I was puttin' down, so I figured I'd go ahead and break it down to the molecular level, and eliminate any possibility of further miscommunication on this rather simple concept. Peace.
No problem here. I'm sympathetic to anyone with a condition that effects their enjoyment of life.

Carl

Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Ordered one...

Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Don't want to ruin the fun here, but I am holding my Outlaw helmet (The one that has the DOT sticker, but was then recalled due to actually not being in DOT compliance)

It looks identical to the helmet we are discussing here, to include the exact same "Made In China" and WARNING in big red letters sticker inside the helmet. The material is the same, the stitch patterns are exactly the same.

Is this going to be another "DOT Certified" helmet farce like the Outlaw?

Don't get me wrong, I'm in Illinois, a non-helmet state, so I don't have to wear a helmet. I bought the Outlaw because I too wanted the lowest profile "DOT" helmet I could find. Of course, as we all know, it really wasn't, causing the recall etc.

How do you determine if this helmet is just an Outlaw under another name, before you spend money and get into another Outlaw situation?

I've attached photos of the Outlaw Helmet for comparison.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread. Thanks to the OP for starting it. I've shopped around locally for half helmets and the one constant make/model that I found to be both lightweight and lowest profile has been the Zox Nano (Custom and Old Skool). They both come in at under $100. Wondering how the Zox Nano would compare to this one?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
Website says less than 640 grams. We will see when I get mine.

As comparison my medium skid lid weighs 1015 grams

My mountain bike helmet weighs 350 grams

So if 640 is right its going to be very light.

I recieved my helmet today. It wieghed in at 633 grams for medium and this is the one with the quick release buckle which seems like it would be heavier.

Ok my opinions

Helmet fits and looks good. I normaly wear a medium and this fits the same.

I looked up everything I could on how to check if a helmet is DOT and it has the 2 main things they say to check. DOT on the back which you can see (not just a sticker either) and all the required info on the inside tag.

My conclusion is it is definitely more than a novelty helmet but I wouldnt be surprised if it suffers the same fate as the outlaw

Comparing to the outlaw posted above there are some similarities but the tag is different as is the DOT on the back. Doesnt mean they arent the same but not sure you can say for sure.

In the end I am sure this isnt the safest half helmet out there but if you want low profile or just wear one to keep the cops off you then you might like it.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
SFD998
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the AK-88 yesterday. This was after having no luck finding an outlaw because of the recall. I'm not sure where the outlaw was supposedly from but when I called All for bikers in Canada the guy who answered the phone said he was the one who designed the helmet. Maybe Canada ships all their manufacturing to China too. Anyway, I was looking for the lowest profile DOT helmet I could find so I'm hoping this fits the bill. I live in a non helmet state so if it ever losses its DOT rating it won't matter unless I leave the state.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jus2anoyu;11209625]I finally bit the bullet and got an acc beanie. They were dot certified until about 2 years ago. Apparently they 'met' dot certification but did not 'exceed' dot so they lost the dot stamp. They are an interwoven mix of carbon fiber and kevlar. It's the lowest profile and lightest I have ever seen. They use to be in Florida, and they would custom fit them if you went to their store. When I ordered mine, it didn't fit right. I called and they said they could make it 'shaped' different if I would send it back. So I did. It's now a perfect fit. At 140 some odd dollars, it's the most expensive lid I've ever owned, but it's by far the most comfortable lid I've ever owned as well.....[/QUOTE

I to have a ACC and like it alot. Had a NexL (went out of business) and will take the ACC over it. Is ACC still around as would like to get another one?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hynsonx
Heres the photos of me wearing each helmet.I did not start this thread to debate the safest or the helmet with the most padding.I thought that i could save some guys some money and time.When i bought the skid lid alot of people said that it was the smallest and the lightest dot helmet out there.When i received it is was not much different than my Harley helmet. I was disappointed.So the ak88 came along and after watching the video and going back and forth with a few emails i decided to buy one.I'm very pleased with the helmet...It is WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR..
THANK YOU !!

I don't know why some feel the need to add their "Mr. Safety" advice. I had some of the same comments when I posted about my Outlaw helmet. If they choose to wear a full face or heaviest padded helmet then by all means do it. I think by the looks of it most can make up their own mind if they're willing to "risk" wearing a small helmet. I am.. To those of you who are not, move along. Why bother even posting..?

To the OP thanks for the post. I'll be ordering one soon...

Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hynsonx
I bought it at allforbikers.com.It was 115.95 Shipped

Great fitting helmet... Newsy to do business with...

Quick Reply: Smallest DOT Helmets