Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
ndotken
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush

ORIGINAL: BREAD

ORIGINAL: ndotken

I'd send you mine but I'm going to put my RKC back to stock and sell the pipes when I trade it in on a new RG.
Blasphemy... RKC for a RG? [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Haha. Now it would be blasphemy if I said I was going to trade the RKC in on a GW. I just wish I had some tunes and I like the fixed fairing on the RG.

Anyway it's not gonna happen anytime soon. I just bought the RKC six months ago and the wife nearly blew a gasket when I floated the idea a couple of weeks ago. By the time I've talked the wife into it, I'll probably have changed my mind. [&:]

Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread and topic. I too am interested in slip ons that are a lttle easier on the heraring. I want to hear a little rumble, but in appropriate modernization. As ome have posted going with stock is not an option as they are too restrictive. I'm after a little more horsepower and sound.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Got a set of 07" Stock Slip-ons with 3000 miles on them. They are louder than previous year stock pipes but still just a little too quiet for me. Got 07 SE Touring 2 piece slip-ons and they are just barely louder than the ones I replaced[:@]. PM me if your interested in my stock 07 slip-ons. I'll probably end up with Rush's with a 1.75 baffle eventually.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a lot of research and talking to folks on this forum, I decided to give the Screamin Eagle One piece slash down street performance mufflers a shot when I did the 5000 mile service. I alsowent with the Stage 1 free flow A/C with theHarley remap. The Slash downs are a little louder than stock to me. They have a nice rumble and do get louder on acceleration. I am very pleased with the sound. I had abefore/after Dyno run thrown in (just full throttle stats) and the remap did richen up the A/F mix just a little in the 2500 -3800 RMP range, where I spend most of my riding time.

According to the Dyno sheet, I gained a little HP and Torque, which was not my primary objective, I must admit. I was just trying to get a little more sound out of the exhaust along with a little cooler A/F mixture. The bike is running well, so I am staying with this set up for the time being.Unless I later change to another after market exhaust, the SERT or PC III would be overkill to me.

The SE slashdowns are a little louder, compared to the 4" SE touring mufflers I have listened to. I don't know if it's the 3 1/2 inch diameter of the exhausts, or the the fact that the slash downs reflect the sound better off the ground. I can state that they arenoticeably louder than stock, but still pleasing to my sensitive ears.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

Here's a wav file I made of my Rush 2.5 mufflers on Vance and Hines Dresser Duals. I used an MP3 player stuffed between the big and little windshield pouch on my Ultra. You can hear it bouncing around but still I think the recordingis a pretty good example of the sound. I took off out of my driveway and made a right tun at the stop sign and got stuck behind a slow moving minivan. I finally was able to get out on the main street and open it up a little.

I'm 47 years old and been married for 19 years. All I got to look forward to is a nagging wife so a little hearing loss would be a big improvment.

You will need to click on "Next Page" 3 times to get to the page were you can play or download the sound clip. I convertedthe wav file to a much smaller MP3 however Putstuff.com would not allow an MP3 file to be uploaded.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/50218/4263227

Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock pipes on the 07 sound pretty good. I understand that they actually get better with more miles. Looking at the dyno info from MOCO seems to indicate that the increase in performance is minimal when changing to somthing like the SE (for 07 models).

Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

supertrapp 3" internal disc style. I consider these both mid range insound level.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Stash
Tourer

I started with a Bassani true dual and muffler setup. Also did a stage one, HD race tuner etc.. Sounded great for short rides with a lot of stop and go. But on the road all day at 70mph was too much. I switched mufflers and went with a set of 07 Screaming Eagle one piece slash downs for about 300 miles. They sound decent. Louder than stock, but no problem running 70mph for hours. Also, still could hear the radio with out a problem. My wife loved them. It was the first she heard the radio. I switched to Rush 1.75 about a month ago. Unfortunately, I started it up in the garage once after I installed them and that has been it (weather = cold & snow). My first and only impression is they seem louder and deeper than the SE's. Hopefully I'll get out on the road within a few weeks. Weather is due to break. I'm like you. I want top be able to ride all day without coming home with a headache or ringing ears. I want to hear my radio at 70 mph without blasting it. I still have my SE's and if the Rush don't work, I'll put them back on.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain

I ran SE IIs on my 2003 RKC. Keep the stock pipes and when I traded for my 2007 Ultra replaced the stock pipes with the SE IIs. I really like them As for the ringing... if you are on any ride other than around town, most people ride with ear plugs or helmuts to keep the air flow from bombarding your ears. I road most of the time with an MP3/ear phones. Never had a ringing in the ear problem.. of course the MP3 was probably doing me in.. LOL. Now with the Ultra, I'll use ear plugs and the stereo... it's winter in Minnesota, only have 5 stinking miles on the bike that I put on today, so don't know how the ear plugs/radio will work!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Rinehart slip ons, and once up to speed I can hardly hear my pipes unless I twist the throttle. I've even wondered if they were loud enough, however on take off and if you really twist the throttle there is plenty of lower rumble.

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush