Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting speakers on engine guard

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Kaliken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting speakers on engine guard

Hey good people I have a question in regards to mounting Speakers on my engine guards. I DO NOT want to drill my hard saddlebags, so I was thinking about getting some empty headlight housing and mount speakers in those.I really dont want to use the speakers pods that they sell either.I am trying to keep my Road King as it came. If anyone has any good ideals on how I should go about this I will appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 533 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaliken
Hey good people I have a question in regards to mounting Speakers on my engine guards. I DO NOT want to drill my hard saddlebags, so I was thinking about getting some empty headlight housing and mount speakers in those.I really dont want to use the speakers pods that they sell either.I am trying to keep my Road King as it came. If anyone has any good ideals on how I should go about this I will appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
I'm starting to see this alot on the show bikes looks like they just use the same clamps you use for the engine gaurd pegs and drill to hide the wires.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Rad10
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

My way.... 6" Speakers fit perfect.... Sound even better... Nice in the cool weather as well!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicky
My way.... 6" Speakers fit perfect.... Sound even better... Nice in the cool weather as well!

The lowers are cool, but not the look i want for my bike. I've been thinking about picking up the harley speaker system with the controls and such, only thing is, i run apes, and do not want that stuff mounted to my bars. I'd like to mount the speakers to the crash bar, but then the issue of where to put the controls comes up... i suppos the wires can just be cut and lengthened? and also, does anyone have these speakers? are they good enough to be heard going down the road mounted down low like that... keeping in mind i don't run a windsheild or anything?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Rad10
Banned

I originally had the shark audio system, with the speakers that clamped to the handle bars, I can say they sounded pretty good. I did a lot of investigating and if you want them on the engine guard what a lot of people do is get another set of peg clamps, then get another set of driving light cans. You mount those to your engine guard facing you, then install speakers into those. How you hide the wires is your personal preference, drill or not drill...
For tunes, I have an iPhone, I ordered a $3 chrome plastic case for it, and modified it to make it easier to remove. Basically I cut away a lot of what holds it in the case. To remove it now, I lightly pry one end with my thumb while lifting the phone from the top... It holds tight and can be removed without much trouble... Then I used professional carpet tape, 2-way tape that will stick to dirty concrete! I put about 4 strips on the back of the modified case and attached it to my console.

The nice think about the shark audio system is the amp has a remote control and an FM radio built into it. The remove has 4 buttons, volume +/-, power, and mode. I haven't found the FM radio to useful. I love the volume controls though....

The amp is under the side cover, and i purchased an iphone audio cable that plugs right into the bottom of the phone. It charges the phone, and connects to the amp inputs. The amp has a standard 3.5mm jack.

I never built the light can speakers, but I have seen them and they look cool..

Here is a pic of my console while i was installing it..

Last edited by Rad10; 04-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks, i'll have to look into the shark stuff then. the ones my dealer has i believe are hog tunes? The speakers are chrome lookin and appear to be maybe 4 inches i'd guess? and they have a wired control unit that is supposed to attach to the bars next to the grip, to be controlled with your thumb. The remote setup would be way, way better for what i'm wanting.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Rad10
Banned
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Kaliken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dicky. I think that the route I will take. Getting some empty headlight cans and inserting the speakers in those. I will keep you posted on how that goes.