Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Glide to King

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013 | 11:42 AM
waltz4
Cruiser
Default Long live the King !

I moved from a softail up to the RK. I like the nostalgic look the RK brings from my earlier years and I always wanted a Big Harley. The versatility of the King is unequaled by anything else available. IMHO. You can dress it up and tour the country, strip it down and cruise the town, or find the perfect fit in the middle somewhere. Everyone is unique and that's another thing about the King. You can give it a personality and make it your very own. There are numerous items from HD and others to help make the King fit you like a handmade glove. I want to thank all HDF members for providing such great dialogue filled with tips, tricks, anecdotes, sarcasm, white lies, all out lies, and funnies. I know every time I log in there will be something to bump my interest. Ride safe my brothers. The cagers do not have a freaking clue !

'02 RK carb., Vived Black on Black on Chrome

Old 04-18-2013 | 12:19 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

To me the RK rules. I had an '05 EGC prior to this '09 RK and don't regret going to the King at all. I found myself stripping down the EGC as much as possible but was still always stuck with the fairing. Personally I just like the stripped down feel of a wide-open simple motorcycle sometimes - solo seat, no fairing, no windshield, just me and the bike in the open air! The RK allows this, yet can be morphed into a full-blown dresser with TourPak, GPS and windshield in 5 minutes flat. Tunes? An iPod with a good set of earbuds gives you far better sound than any set of speakers in a fairing will give you at 75 mph on the open road.

Congrats on your new RK, it's a fantastic machine.

Last edited by Arizona; 04-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2013 | 01:21 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior

I got a pair of the Boom boob looking speakers for the handlebars and plug my phone into it for tunes. They don't sound great on the highway, but neither do my Ultras.

Old 04-18-2013 | 02:44 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

I agree with a lot of comme.ts here. I love my '02 Road King cuz I canput the window on or take it off in about 15 seconds, put the passenger seat & detachable sissy bar on or take of in about a minute & a half. In both cases it's a totally different bike for totally different purposes. I rode cross country on mine with a luggage rack & a small duffle strapped to it in place of the passenger seat when I moved out west. Now that I'm there I plan to add a detachable batwing & hard lowers with quick detach hardware for the colder months and because the hiways are such high speed roads (I commute 50 miles each way & find myself going 85 for 40 miles at a time. The added wind protection will be nice for that. Also going to add a OD6 and probably cruise control. Maybe a detachable tour pack if my wife decides to be a passenger on trips rather than continue to ride her own bike. In any case I'll be able to strip it back down to a solo bike in just a few minutes, which is how I like it best.

Old 04-18-2013 | 03:03 PM
Callgood
Tourer

I can understand why you would change, the RK is a great looking nostalgic design. One of my favorites. Many of the reasons noted are why I kept my Heritage. Most of the time I had it stripped unless the wife was coming along. But on trips it didn't have all the creature comforts so I bought a limited. Now I have the best of both worlds and keep the Heritage stripped all the time. Have rode it twice to work this week and the Ultra the other 2 times. Love them both for different reasons.

Old 04-18-2013 | 03:34 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ericl
The cool thing about a road king is the way you can dress it up, I can run it bare, add the Dragonfly fairing for the st. Glide look, add the tour back for a full dresser. Guess that's why I just bought an AR 15 platform build it to fit your needs

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
Gotta love 2-tone!!! Congrats

These two guys make me want to do a Road King real bad.

Old 04-18-2013 | 03:48 PM
cubalz
Road Captain

That is an awesome color combination!!!! Enjoy your King!!

Old 04-18-2013 | 03:58 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member

Congrats on finally coming to your senses. I just don't see all the hoopla about the StreetGlide. Fairings are ugly, limit your road vision, and pipes are all the music that should be heard on a Harley.

That is the best color combo this year. If they offered it on the Classic, I might just be tempted to pull the trigger. 'Course, I DO have an extra set of b rand new Classic bags. Hmmnnn...

Old 04-18-2013 | 04:12 PM
darkcustom48
Cruiser

And that's why they named it ROAD KING.

Old 04-18-2013 | 04:20 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Under every Street Glide or Ultra facade is a Road King

Quick Reply: From Glide to King