Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Glide to King

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013 | 09:47 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Most RK's especially the ones with leather bags and windshields that look like sails look like a bigger version of a softail to me.
The Road King Classic, the Heritage Softail Classic and Deluxe look like motorcycles from another time when they weren't draped in plastic. That's exactly why some of us prefer them over the HDs that look like Goldwings.

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:00 AM
hank-hill
Tourer

Originally Posted by Casper
First Congratulations, glad you're happy!
Question? Why is the King better than the SG? I've owned a slew of Harley's but never a king...ride a 12 SG now...just wondering....
Me, I like the radio, cruise and have put a chopped tour box on mine...but I just gatta ask...
What's better to you...and I get it that likes are subjective....
I have the same likes as a few others here. I enjoy riding without a windshield when I'm not taking long expressway rides. To me the radio was more of a distraction than anything else. I was always messing with it one way or another: changing playlists, turning it up or down, turning it all the way down at lights so I could hear my buddys in front and next to me. Again just my option but the radio seamed to take away what I most liked about riding, clearing my head with no distractions.
All Harleys are great but to me being able to go from great wind protection to none is the best part of the RK. I even bought a set of Tooks headphones when I want tunes but have yet to use it.

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:07 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Best all-around bike that the Moco make. Ride Majestic!

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:21 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nirvana
The Road King Classic, the Heritage Softail Classic and Deluxe look like motorcycles from another time when they weren't draped in plastic. That's exactly why some of us prefer them over the HDs that look like Goldwings.
Yeah, you're right, I guess that there isn't any plastic on the Road King Classic, the Heritage Softail Classic and Deluxe is there?

It just looks like there is..for some reason.

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:23 AM
DPelletier
Tourer

Just to be clear: Harley does not make a bike that looks like a Goldwing...and that's a good thing.

I have a soft spot for a RK Classic with spokes and www's, but practically I bought my bike for 2 up touring and I wanted/need the hard saddlebags, and king tour pak. Even though I don't listen to the radio much, the Batwing does a better job of wind protection and looks more "balanced" with the tour pak IMO.

If I did mostly solo riding, I think the RK would be my first pick.

All the HD tourers are great bikes and while it's fun to poke at other guys choices, the more serious criticisms make little sense to me....for the most part these are the SAME bikes with very minor changes and differences.

2 cents
Dave

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:36 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

Great choice on a beautiful bike.
I like the Kings because they can be a "heavy cruiser" when you want that kind of bike under you, then when you want to tour for distance you can load it up easily and live off of one for a week or two. Or longer.
Congrats.

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:46 AM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser

Great choice and nice colors too!

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:48 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain

Nice choice! Great for touring and around town. The King is the best model in the Harley lineup.

Old 04-18-2013 | 11:23 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

They look like a Harley is supposed to look. Compare to this 1969 FLH (the year I started riding). BTW, my musical tastes froze about then too.

Old 04-18-2013 | 11:35 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

i could have written the comment from the OP about the bike i should have bought in the first place... twice. i had two ultra's before my king. thought i wanted the protection and the tunes. i do love the tunes when riding, but never really got sweet on the batwing. always loved the open look of the king and the open ride. made the swithc with the new cvo this year and i'm thrilled.

tin

Quick Reply: From Glide to King