Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
dmarkturner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage Question

Our group is taking a cross country trip this summer and my Road King saddle bags aren't big enough to carry all my gear...is there any kind of luggage that doesn't require the purchase of a sissy bar, pad and possibly a rack? I don't ever ride two up, I like the clean look of the stock FLHR without anything on the back and I would rather not spend a ton of money on something that I probably won't use but once or twice.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

I just did a long search for luggage for my RKC. I didn't see anything that didn't require a backrest and/ or rack. Do you run a 2-up seat? If so you could get away w/ just a backrest and have the bag sit on the passenger seat; it'll double as a backrest for you.

As you probably know, having a backrest will really open up your luggage possibilities.

I went w/ a Saddleman S3500 bag. Just got it; seems real nice. Well made. My 2nd Saddleman bag.

https://www.saddlemen.com/tag/Sissy-...aditional.html

Good luck on your trip. Sounds great!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are cheap generic hard tour packs on eBay. They range from $200 to $500 with matching paint and they can be detachable. You might want to look in to that. With the king size pack, I am able to fit two full size helmets in it with room to spare.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM
littled62
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could do what we do, use the small space saver bags and wall-mart sells a small air/vac pump for air mattres in the camping section. we take 2 pr jeans, 2 t-shirts, 2 pr socks, 2 pr undies, 1 sweatshirt and when you suck the air out it takes up less than 1/2 the saddelbag

Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

It's up to you to determine how much crap you want to carry.

some of us camp, some mail boxes of clothing ahead even helmets... & take old clothes planning to throw away etc.

I have a FLHTC so saddlebags and tourpak, sometimes I have a tent tied on and a sleeping bag for a back rest on the pass seat, I also have the large Tbag...and the H-D "sac" bag that fits on top of the tourpak.

how much of that stuff I use for each trip depends on camping vs motels/ couch tour and how long I am gone..and what tools etc I decide to carry.

Here is the most loaded I ever ran---camping gear, gone for a month, rain, snow sleet and burning desert sun...even carried a shop manual and a bunch of tools- bike was 15 years old with 82000 miles...and ended up doing a new stator on that trip

I usually run less stuff than that!
Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-17-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Couldn't you just get some duffle bags or dry bags and strap them to the top of your hard bags?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

friend of mine got some 3m clear protectant film for the saddlebag lids then just straps on a HUGE generic duffle bag,think he can fit 3 midgets and a case of beer.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I do a ton of trips and have used the crap out of my bag just like this one. Far from breaking the bank, and can be easily strapped onto the back seat. Not totally waterproof so just pack a trash bag to put it in in case of rain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LARGE-18...item2a2b426394

Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I always take way to much stuff every year when I take my 8 day trip, this year I am forcing myself to pack light. I removed my tour pack since last summers trip and I am not going to put it back on. I do not have a passenger backrest but I do have a 2 piece C & C seat. I am going to strap one bag down on the passenger seat which will have my sleeping bag and small pillow, everything else must go in the saddlebags. My 2 man tent,air compressor, tire plug kit and rainsuit will fit in one saddlebag. The other saddlebag will have to hold a pair of jeans,3 shirts,3 underwear,3 socks, sweatshirt and a pair of tennis shoes.I was able to pack a few tools in one side of my lowers. I have always used the logic that it is better to have to much stuff rather than not enough.I usually drag a lot of stuff around and never use it.We always do laundry at a KOA campground so this year I'm taking half as many clothes. Anyway that's my plan,I'll see how it works.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I found this while looking at luggage last night.
It's called "versa mount" it goes under the rear seat, and allows
you to use clips to mount your luggage on a bike with no ssisy bar or luggage rack.
This looks like something you might be looking for

http://www.mandmcycles.com/detail.as...uctno=MM000116

Quick Reply: Luggage Question