Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenae question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
tankplunkett
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenae question?

I have a 2009 Electragide standard, which came with no stereo or speakers. I put an older HK stock radio in that I got fairly cheap and I used a hidden antenae because I assumed my bike would not have one installed. Well somehow over the last couple years, a antennae wire wiggled its way loose and was hanging out from the bottom of my fairing. I assumed that maybe the crappy hidden antenae worked its way loose from the stereo, so I opened her to plug it back in. But it was still plugged in once I got inside the fairing.

So my questions are:
Can you tell the difference between an AM/FM wire and the CB wire based on the plug end? Since my bike came with neither option I have no idea which wire it is.
Also, does anyone have any idea where the other end might be hiding? There is no antennae and I haven't seen anything that I would think would be the end of an antennae wire?

Oh, and yes I have checked the service manual but wasn't able to find what I was looking for...but that doesn't necessarily mean its not there.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Rwj6001
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tankplunkett
So my questions are:
Can you tell the difference between an AM/FM wire and the CB wire based on the plug end? Since my bike came with neither option I have no idea which wire it is.
Also, does anyone have any idea where the other end might be hiding? There is no antennae and I haven't seen anything that I would think would be the end of an antennae wire?
Thanks.
Yes, in my experience, you should be able to tell the difference between an AM/FM antenna and a CB antenna. AM/FM stereo antenna wires usually use a plug type interface, one that simply slides into the antenna port on a stereo, while most CB antennas use a screw on type plug that requires a threaded interface on the CB.

I say "most" because I haven't seen "all" the various interfaces on different stereos or CB's, however this should cover the standard interfaces.

As far as the wire itself, have you attempted to trace the wire to see where it goes? If it appears to go toward the back of the bike then maybe you have an external antenna mount on the back of the bike for a whip antenna?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Plugs should be different. The Antenna cable is coiled up under the left side panel on my '09 standard. You just need the mount and antenna to use it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Plugs should be different. The Antenna cable is coiled up under the left side panel on my '09 standard. You just need the mount and antenna to use it.
OH is right.. it's under the side panel.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
tankplunkett
Intermediate

Thanks everyone, I found the other end right where you said it would be. Now can anyone recommend a mount and antennae. I think I'm going to try and mount it on the back of the saddlebag bars, there a couple extra holes back there. It looks like some sort of "L" bracket would work pretty good.

Thanks

Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

here's the kit from HD

Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Skip
Road Captain

I used the relocation kit that UltraNutz noted on my 2005 EG standard; mounted it down low as you noted and used a Street Glide antenna [its a short one]. Works well