Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone that has done engine mods for increased power please chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GaugeMods
I say one thing, lol. If you want reliability leave it stock with a stage1

Aint that the truth, but than its no fun.
Jim, I was checking out your site with the gauge LED swap. Looks awesome, After the motor rebuild saga blows over with the wife I am definately going to send you mine.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1

Aint that the truth, but than its no fun.
Jim, I was checking out your site with the gauge LED swap. Looks awesome, After the motor rebuild saga blows over with the wife I am definately going to send you mine.
Kool Bagman1. be sure to PM me I offer forum members a discount. And your wife will be all for it.....they look pretty .....lol

Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
No kidding, can't believe I let myself write that...good catch.
Don't feel bad they make a kit that you would have to crack case to bore your stock cases. and if you didn't weld while it was out that would be a bad choice.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 AM
krr319krr
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Se 113

I have an 08 RG with the SE 113 and I love it. If I were yo0u I'd look into the new SE 120. If a dealer does the install they will waranty it. I've since upgraded to the new SE oil pump and a larger S&S cam. I couldn't be happier.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,202 Likes on 4,407 Posts

Originally Posted by fmfpj
just cam alone will make a huge difference and if your buddy is pulling his 222 give him a case of beer and throw those in your bike with some adjustable push rods and leave the topend intact till you really decide what it is you want.
+1.......

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in the exact same predicament at the end of last year when I was looking for a SG to replace our Night Rod. The SG I bought already had a Stage 2 kit with PD's and part of the deal with the wife was that it would have to be built to be what I wanted it to be. It took several months of research, forums, dealers and indies to make up my mind. My decision was finally made in March ....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-at-least.html

Knowledge is power so read, research and ask alot questions. Bottom line, though, it's about your wallet. How much can/will you spend? I wanted more than a hot 103", but couldn't justify (to the wife) splitting the cases to go, 113", 117" or 120" or going to a 120r crate motor so I went middle of the road with everything I could throw at it .... FM 107", 10.5's, TW-777's, B heads, TB port & A/C base plate match and 32- to 30-tooth tranny sprocket.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
I was in the exact same predicament at the end of last year when I was looking for a SG to replace our Night Rod. The SG I bought already had a Stage 2 kit with PD's and part of the deal with the wife was that it would have to be built to be what I wanted it to be. It took several months of research, forums, dealers and indies to make up my mind. My decision was finally made in March ....

Knowledge is power so read, research and ask alot questions. Bottom line, though, it's about your wallet. How much can/will you spend? I wanted more than a hot 103", but couldn't justify (to the wife) splitting the cases to go, 113", 117" or 120" or going to a 120r crate motor so I went middle of the road with everything I could throw at it .... FM 107", 10.5's, TW-777's, B heads, TB port & A/C base plate match and 32- to 30-tooth tranny sprocket.
I'm honestly pretty sure this is the way I wanted to go. Your post convinced me a little more. I really like the Fuel Moto stuff, and they are so highly recommended, how could you not? And everyone that has a 107 build of some sort is, by all accounts, really happy and glad they did it. The only issue is do I try and plan a trip out there (to FM) in the late fall/winter to do the whole shebang? OR, I do I order the stuff and find an indy or a dealer to do the work. I'm always leery of the dealer option because they are always out to make a buck. However like you said I could possibly get my dealer to warranty the work their doing. I'm also torn on wether to do the cam swap first, or just wait and do it al at once. Decisions, decisions.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I'm honestly pretty sure this is the way I wanted to go. Your post convinced me a little more. I really like the Fuel Moto stuff, and they are so highly recommended, how could you not? And everyone that has a 107 build of some sort is, by all accounts, really happy and glad they did it. The only issue is do I try and plan a trip out there (to FM) in the late fall/winter to do the whole shebang? OR, I do I order the stuff and find an indy or a dealer to do the work. I'm always leery of the dealer option because they are always out to make a buck. However like you said I could possibly get my dealer to warranty the work their doing. I'm also torn on wether to do the cam swap first, or just wait and do it al at once. Decisions, decisions.
You are quite a bit closer to FM than I am. I briefly thought about taking her directly to them, but that is a hell of a road trip. If there was a beach involved, we would have done it in a heart beat.

I spoke to several indies in the SE and got several quotes. There are several HD dealers in the Metro Atlanta area, but only two that I would trust a motor build with. I spoke to customers from both of them and they were happy with their results. One offered no warranty and was quite a bit of money and the other was more in line with what FM charges AND, was so confident in their builds, they offered a one-year warranty that they coupled with HD's remaining warranty. The other dealer dropped their price a few hundred and later offered only a 90 day warranty and ONLY on the motor build ... nothing on the rest of the bike.

The bike is not bad as it is with 103 rwt ... the Stage 2 included 254E cams, SEPST and SE clutch spring. It also had a Stage 1 A/C and the Power Duals with the Bassani slip-ons. For me, a mod at a time is not feasible .... it gets way expensive and alot of money and time is wasted in tear downs. Hopefully, I will get the torque I am after because there won't be another build after this one.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want cheap and clean TQ and HP mod on a 96 CU motor, add the cam of your choice, true duals and pipes with sound to please your ear, the biggest air intake you can afford, and a fuel map system to dial it in and you will have 20 to 40% gain over stock. My son just bought a tuned CVO with 110 CU motor and he road mine while I tested his, and mine is almost as quick off the line as his 110 and keeps up when rolling on the throttle until my fuel map ends. CVO has 255 cam. Mine is Andrews 48h for my two up TQ needs. Cam= $350, pipes $1000 do it yourself, Fuel control system= $350 and up. Intake = $50 to $100 depending on what you want. I use K&N. You will be more than satisfied keeping it all simple. A friend has an S&S build in his and its in the shop more than on the road. Go for what works with not the downside. JMHO

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA

this would be my exact combo. Son-in-law has a 2012 FLHTK with just TW555, Power Vision with good map, Power duals, and 30 tooth pulley. 6th gear is usable down to 45 mph and at 70 it will take the travel up in forks. I can't emagine what the 107 with heads, and 10.5 compression, and dyno and 30 tooth would do.

Quick Reply: Anyone that has done engine mods for increased power please chime in!