Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo "mode" switch help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM
big TYME
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo "mode" switch help

Need some help with my stereo mode switch. Got an 06 SG and I added CC about 1 year ago. Had to buy a new stereo mode switch to fit the new lower switch housing. Before I added the new switch, the old one never acted up. The problem is the mode switch only works about 10% of the time. I've got a manual and the switch shows 4 wires. I am looking for a way to test the switch before I put my new monkey bars on. Would hate to run all the wires internally only to find out the switch is bad. This is what I'm thinking. Either the switch is bad or I have a bad connection in the outer fairing. The manual shows a brown/white, a pink/white, a violet/black, and a gray/white. As most I you know the switch only has 3 functions. Up, down and select. The up and down works each and every time. On the other hand the select only works about 10% of the time. The manual doesn't say, or I'm not reading it right, which wires work specific tasks. U assume one of the four wires, is connected to the power source in the connector. That's why there are 4 wires and only 3 functions. How would I bench test this mode switch using a multimeter??? If I pull the connector inside the fairing how would I test each one of these four wires for the respected functions?? Please explain yourself the best u can. I can turn a wrench or two but when it comes to electrical stuff I lack in that dept. thanks again to all those who can help me. I'm gather the rest of the parts needed to begin installing my bars.

Last edited by big TYME; 04-14-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I don' t know where you get your information, but there is no diff in the audio switch on a CC bike and a non-CC bike. When CC is installed all that's necessary is a different lower housing and switch cap.

Also, if you have the HD service manual it will have a matrix showing how the different wires in the switch interact for different functions.

If you replaced the audio switch, I'd suspect the problem is a bad splice or pinched wire.

Good luck.

Carl

Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the violet and black wire has been shorted out some where or has a loose crimp in one of the conectors

Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
big TYME
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harleypingman, I was told by the stealer that the switch is smaller and when I installed it I guess I didn't look at it close enough. Thanks for the help guys but would like info on actually diagnosing the issue.