Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY husband and I get all our tires on line and have them installed by our local dealer. We did buy 4 bikes from them over the years.

I mentioned to our dealer about the "other" local dealer who would not install tires bought elsewhere. His response was it's all about service and we want your business and everybody else's.

He said word gets around and that kind of service pays off in spades. It's not like we aren't getting $90.00 an hour to do the swap and if youre happy you'll tell everyone about it.

Mountainview HD - Chilliwack BC

Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

Folks are debating the policy and that is fine. I wonder if this is the first time the OP tried to do this because the policy which gave him heart burn is very common, and with a little knowledge, he should have asked first. If this is his first try, log it to experience.

When people ask about tires in a forum, I try to caution them to be careful about the load rating, not all tires of the same size will safely carry the same load. The dealer insisting on installing only his tires can make sure the load rating is adequate. What sort of heat would have been generated if the bead had broken on that new tire because it wasn't compatible with the rim or if it didn't seal properly. How about if the tech came out and said the sealing lip on your tire tore when we tried to install it? That starts the accusation that they destroyed my tire because they wanted to sell their own and now you have to pay for 2 tires.

Bless those willing to install outside parts but I can't blame those who choose not to. Check first and save aggravation and time.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Duh. I can't believe you thought that you could just go buy something off the internet and then get a dealer to install it for you. They are not independent mechanics. They are a dealer. The "we only install what we sell" is not unique to your dealer nor unique to Harley, nor unique to motorcycles. If you want to have someone else install stuff you buy at a discount off the internet, find an indy.
I didn't see why not. When they fixed my bike I bought my own grips and levers and they installed them. Wasn't the first time.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok I'll chime in too:

I always ask my service writer first before I bring it in, if I buy something elsewhere if they will install it.
I would never assume to tell them how they should do business.

Where are all these great indy shops, everybody is going to?
We've had two in my town and both went broke and closed up.
....and quite frankly I wouldn't have used them anyway. Just because a guy calls himself a mechanic doesn't mean he is.

I've bought tires over the internet a few times and gotten good deals and saved a $100 a tire.
Usually they are great tires, but once I got a tire that in no time at all started having cracks in the sidewall.
So buyer beware, some of these big factory suppliers are selling old tires.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
jsvt184
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called my dealer this AM and asked for new front and rear replacement Dunlops. He quoted me $720 installed. That's just ain't reasonable. Next stop is an Indy.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 dealers close to me and none of them will mount a tire you bring in. I take the wheels off myself and take them to an indy that will do the mount and balance for $20 per tire. For $3 disposal fee he'll even get rid of the old ones.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

Originally Posted by jsvt184
Called my dealer this AM and asked for new front and rear replacement Dunlops. He quoted me $720 installed. That's just ain't reasonable. Next stop is an Indy.
Did he offer some K9 Jelly before he tried to bend you over...

Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

Originally Posted by hdstreetglide08
There are 3 dealers close to me and none of them will mount a tire you bring in. I take the wheels off myself and take them to an indy that will do the mount and balance for $20 per tire. For $3 disposal fee he'll even get rid of the old ones.
That's what i do as well... they appreciate the money... Even gave them a 12 pack of Miller lite this year for Christmas...

Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jsvt184
I agree. If dealers didn't try to gouge customers for every last nickel then people would buy more stuff from them.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fxdsegrl
His response was it's all about service and we want your business and everybody else's.

That's great.