Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TVagee
That makes since. I would have been happy with that.
hell yea, i got the 15k service with syn3 in all 3, full once over (just bought it used), new set of kuryakn mirrors to replace the tiny novelty mirrors that came on it and was out the door for $334 o yea and he even rolled the bars forward with me sitting on the bike to find the sweet spot, adjusted all the crontrols to make them comfortable with the new bar locations and adjusted the mirrors and locked them in place for me.

only complaint is he's behind the times a bit. i went back the next week to ask him about an unrelated issue i was having and as soon as i started talking codes on the speedo his eyes glazed over and he shrugged lol.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM
2012SuperGlider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole idea of being forced to buy parts from the dealership wouldn't be so bad if they didn't screw the hell out of you on the price. There is no excuse for them charging anywhere from 20% - 40% more than you can find the parts for elsewhere. The online sellers aren't not-for-profit businesses, they are also running a profitable business selling at the lower prices. The dealerships that do this are strait up screwing you just because they can. There labor charges are more than high enough to justify the work without ripping you off on the parts too.

I bought a bike from my local dealership and later laid it down. I took it back to them for the repair. I asked if I could buy the parts myself and deliver them to them and they had no problem with that. I saved several hundred dollars and really appreciated them allowing me to do this. I did use the part numbers they supplied me on all parts other than a few I upgraded, in those instances I bought only HD parts so I knew they would all fit.

As a result of their handling of me I will certainly continue to go back to them for future repairs and upgrades. I already have their VIP maintenance package so all that is covered as long as I own the bike. Also when I decide to get another bike if I buy the next one from them the service will transfer over.

I haven't asked specifically if they will install tires purchased elsewhere but I would be surprised if they would not.

The dealership is Greeley Harley Davidson/Wild West Motorsports. I will recommend them to anyone that asks.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I don't see why not; it's not like Ford or the Harley dealer is giving anyone a break on the labor. Seems short-sided to me: the service department still has to make money, which is based on labor. The parts department makes money on parts, but that does nothing for the service department. So in this case, neither department makes any money and the guy who spent $20k (in the sales department) for a bike from that same store, think he'll think twice on his next purchase, or recommend that store?

It's all about customer service and I'm sure the local indy shop loves the attitude of the Harley dealer. Cha-ching! If I worked service, I would have said 'yeah, we'll do it, and I'll give you a discount next time you buy tires'. Might still be more than what you can buy them for online of course but will be less than full retail. I happily pay more local, as long as I don't feel that I'm getting my head handed to me and the dealer doesn't treat me like crap.

And Harley dealers are wondering why so many Harley dealers are closing in the U.?. Try having that kind of attitude at a Honda or Toyota car store... I used to work for American Honda and can tell you that management there takes customer service very seriously and they don't get 'mad' at the dealer, they get 'even' by way of not giving them as many cars allotted to them or holding out the premium models and sending them to stores that take customer service seriously.
Can't see why not? Almost all the tire places around me will not install tires on cars/ trucks that were not bought at that shop.

It's a fact if life these days . Lawyers are ruining everything

Fact is the OP should have asked if they would mount the tire when he called..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At our used auto parts business we sell lots of used tires, and I don't know any shop around that doesn't install them as long as they are not dry rotted. If I thought there was any doubt I would have asked when I called. But they also could have mentioned make sure You buy it from us if you want us to install it.

Last edited by TVagee; 04-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I ONLY go to indept. mechanics...I have 2 who are top notch, reasonably priced and honest.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why you would go out of business if you had one. This dealer had 2 locations and now they just have one. #justsaying lol __________________

I had a very successful motorsports dealership and customers like yourself that would try to undercut parts at every turn were "encouraged" to go somewhere else for there service. I prided my shop on first rate service and my clientele would back that up. I took care of them and they took care of me. I know a little bit about this game. That dealership your going to just hasn't got the time to mess with you.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
Its chicken ****. Pure and simple. It's all about how much money they didn't make on the tire. Let's be honest.

All other replies are valid to a point. But this I agree is the driving reason. Why else would all the Metric dealers be willing to install tires bought elsewhere??????
Again a great reason to learn to do the work yourself.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 AM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I have rode to my local guy with a tire around my waist. That was fun...Dealers are expensive. We all know that. They have too much overhead I guess with HD requiring all the shops be fancy and all...

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikkeeh
Unless it failed because of a bad install, they have no liability. Goes back to the tire manufacturer. They just have no sense of service. True, they didnt get the markup on the mdse......but they still get their inflated labor rate. People keep going back...so they have no incentive to change.
There is very little profit in tires. It had nothing to do with not makin money on the tire. This is common in most all reputable car dealers, car tire shops and motorcycle dealers. Many of dealers have been sued over tire failures as wrapped in law suits. Controlling whereth tire came from eliminates one angle. I Indys are always hard up for money so will do about anything for a buck. It's not about customer service. Customer service I letting a customer know that the tire they just bought from a wholesaler is usually a blem. Maybe not structural but in looks. I also will usually be a close dated tire.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Duh. I can't believe you thought that you could just go buy something off the internet and then get a dealer to install it for you. They are not independent mechanics. They are a dealer. The "we only install what we sell" is not unique to your dealer nor unique to Harley, nor unique to motorcycles. If you want to have someone else install stuff you buy at a discount off the internet, find an indy.

Quick Reply: Damn Dealer