Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
hdelectra
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... and that is why I do all my own service. If it's something I can't do, it goes to an Indy.

We have a dealer here in town that charges MORE than HD MSRP for oil & filters (just to name a few) if you are buying it carry out. If you take your bike to them to have the service done, they charge you EVEN MORE for the oil & filter. Yep, that's right. They screw you even more if you're lumping it into a 1k, 5, etc service.

THAT is why I don't even bother with that particular dealer anymore. Luckily enough, I have 4 dealers that are within a 50 mile radius of me.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

That would be frustrating. Front wheel looks cool.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,925 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Have any of the folks bitching' about a "stealership" brought a dozen doughnuts by the service dept. on a Saturday morning; or dropped off a couple a twelve pack or two cold beer on a hot Friday afternoon; or dropped off a couple gallons of chili in the cold months at lunchtime.

The folks that complain are basically strangers to everyone at the dealership except their sales person.

Folks post here about helmet laws and noise ordinances bitchin about freedom. How about the freedom of a business owner to decide how they do business. Believe it or not, there are businesses who don't want your business. Anyone who brings a tire into a dealership for mounting or installation is probably someone who will rarely buy parts at the store or support them?

Finally, the "stealership" word is thrown around as if it gets the user some type of forum cred on HDF. It should be reserved for those who charge for work not performed or parts sold that weren't as intended.

No intention to offend anyone. Enjoy your ride and stay safe.

Carl
Carl's made some very valid points ... and unless you've owned your own business, you can't even begin to imagine the problems that arise from installing customer parts. It was a strict policy in our ( my ) shop that we would NOT install any parts provided by the customer ... I can't tell you how many times we ran into improper parts, defective parts, sub standard parts ... on and on, before we finally adopted the policy ... but ... We were sure to let the customer know that in a polite way ... just my .02 cents worth!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glock221
I actually had a HD dealer change both of my tires I bought from Dennis Kirk.
Good to know. Guess it depends on dealer.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Dont know why you folks cant understand the dealership Owns you and you will do as they say or else they will lie out every orifice of there body to prove your an idiot for listening to them... This is Not directed at anyone personally

Last edited by aces&8s; 04-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

I found a local Cycle shop that has fantastic prices on tires and installs them for free if I bring the wheels in off the bike, great prices on gear too, mostly sportbike stuff. every thing else that I can't do, I bring to my Indy, no way I'm going to let the dealer touch my bike!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

never been to a HD dealer but when taking my bike to the local indy for a service i saw on the counter they have a sign saying labor rate when buying parts from them is $48, when you supply the parts from other sources labor rate is $73

Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought my last bike from a different dealer , bought my ESP on my 2 bikes from same dealer because better price , put some led turn signals in my bike and was throughing a code because of it , my fault , but my local dealer diagnosed the problem , had it in the service area with a tec. On it , no charge . I buy my tires at DK also and my local dealer mounts and balance for $35 off the bike , so not all dealers are like that

Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
never been to a HD dealer but when taking my bike to the local indy for a service i saw on the counter they have a sign saying labor rate when buying parts from them is $48, when you supply the parts from other sources labor rate is $73
That makes since. I would have been happy with that.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

75000 miles and i haven't used the dealer yet. For tires that is.

Quick Reply: Damn Dealer