Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Zeppelin
McDonald's should cook your black anus burger. Cooking it really really slow at a labor rate of $102.00 per hour, that's lot of Filet-O- Fishes.
ewww. think i'll pass on that one.

Originally Posted by TVagee
I'm literally upset with how this went down.
no need to be upset. you should have asked first instead of just assuming that they would install parts bought elsewhere. first tires, then next thing you know, you'll be bringing in your own oil and filter and expecting them to 'service' your bike.

i don't know why everyone else is getting so bent out of shape about it either, most places around here wouldn't do it either. the only ones that will are those that don't stock a lot of stuff, but do a lot of 'labor' type jobs.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Your situation isn't uncommon and no reason to get all bent out of shape about it. I would however like to see a picture of you with that tire around your waist riding down the road. You basically said hey **** you I'm not buying a tire from you but I want you to install it. Most dealers wont install a tire not purchased from them.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

I'm on the fence with this subject.
We have the same debate over on the mountain biking forums.
People buy cheap parts from online discout stores and then get mad when their local shop won't install them.

I'm all for getting something cheaper online but you need to be prepared to do the work yourself.
Also, if there are any problems with the tire failing prematurely you will have to go through the manufactuter directly. I doubt if the online store will go to bat for you.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you aren't the only one with a dealership that sucks. I called Lynchburg HD about a rear replacement Metzler 880 last year. They quoted me 475.00 for the tire and labor. Then they said they couldn't do it until 2 weeks later.

Needless to say I didn't take them up on it. Got the tire installed by an indy for a little over 2 bills.

Shakey

Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM
rjammo
Banned
Received 261 Likes on 191 Posts
Default dealer and tires

Needed a new set of tires last fall and wanted to do business with the dealer. Their price for Michelin Commander II were 40% more than an on-line retailer. They understood yet had no problem installing them. Why would anyone turn away business?
Kudos to Buckminn's D&D HD in Xenia Ohio!!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Kingers103
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally see no problem with what the dealer did. If I had a dealership I'd absolutely push to install parts purchased at my store. There is nothing wrong with that. And if I wanted to go further and make installation exclusive to parts purchased there it would be my right. Granted you want to keep your customers happy but there are plenty of clowns out there trying to nickel-and-dime shops over $75 on their 25K bike. I don't get it.

If you purchase parts elsewhere, install them yourself or go to an indy - you're not going to make the dealer get misty eyed. If the dealer will do it, that's a bonus, not an expectation. Out of curiosity, did you inform the dealer that you were going to show up with a tire around your belt or lead them to believe you were coming to purchase tires and have them installed?
Just saying, big difference.

I'm not saying you were wrong at all. If you're not pleased with how it went down, you can vent. If you find a dealer that will install on-line parts, reward them with more business. If you dealer won't do it, don't hold it against them. It's a business.
-K

Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Similar situation for me...bought used car that came w/newer set of tires (not installed) for my daughter last week. Drove it to Tires Plus to get the rubber swapped & they also said "no" due to liability reasons. Now I know they keep "used" sets at these franchises all the time because we just swapped a tire back home on my mom's car b/c it was bad (at Tires Plus in MN). Doesn't seem fair/right at all, but that's "their" business.

Instead of complaining/ranting, I simply drove over to Wal Mart down the road & they gladly mounted/balanced the tires. Sometimes we just need to stop complaining and just keep looking (just like OP did). Eventually, you'll get the problem resolved.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Dalenut3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think dealers would simply do the job but to write up a certain "clause" on the repair order stating that they in no way are responsible for the way the tire performs or mounting/balancing issues because the tire was purchased elsewhere...seems to me they would be covered from any liabilities. Maybe?? I could be wrong...

Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They must be a shitty dealer then. I talked to my dealer's service manager when I needed a new rear tire. I showed him online where I could get the same tire they were offering for $70 cheaper (Motorcycle Superstore even sells the Michelins with the H-D logo on them). He cut the price of the labor so that I'd pay the same amount whether I bought it online or from the dealer. I bought from the dealer because it was right there on hand and I didn't have to wait for shipping.

We have a crappy dealer down here, too. Their service guys try to sell you a load of BS that doesn't even make sense. They'll try to blame unrelated deficiencies on whacked-out stuff they want you to buy from them. They told me that my cruise control wasn't working because my rear rim was not true and they couldn't true the rim unless I bought a brand new tire from them, even though my rear tire was less than a month old. I picked up my bike and took it to the dealer I bought my bike from and they determined that my cruise wasn't working because the thumb switch, the cable, the foot brake switch, and the hub sensor were all unserviceable. They replaced them all under warranty and my cruise works even better than before. I'll never take my bike back to those first yahoos.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Late last fall, my dealer put up a sign stating that they could no longer put on parts that were not purchased thru them. They used to do it, but I guess they had bad experiences with parts that didn't fit and people wanting the dealer to deal with the returns that they said no more.

Quick Reply: Damn Dealer