Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alturitives to leather chaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Diamond Gusset Jeans has a set of britches called Defenders, heavier weight and reinforced at the crotch, knees and seat for better wear or should one go down they will protect a little longer, can also get them lined. Best of all, all US made.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM
maduxfn31
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try carhartt pants, bibs or coveralls, I wear them for work and riding in cold weather if you spray water proofing on them they will keep you dry as well

Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Barring all the gay, Village people, poser comments - chaps are actually quite functional and...great protective gear, when needed. Don't tell anyone, but I wear them too...
It's going on your permanent record!

There is a reason that everyone (at least everyone that isn't insecure in their manhood) wears chaps. They are warm, easy to put on and take off and, unlike overpants, don't add uncomfortable bulk in your lap where you need to bend. The notion that your crotch will get cold is nonsense at least after the first few miles. That's where the internal combustion engine is and, as noted in countless other threads, it produces lots of heat.

I am surprised that the Village People image is the one that dominates the views many have of chaps. Chaps started as cowboy gear for many of the same good reasons. They are no "gayer" than hard hats (which another one of the Village People wore.)

I wear Kevlar jeans and add chaps and Under Armor as the temperatures fall. The combination of all three will take me down to the mid 30's which is as cold as I will ride. Below that, I am concerned about ice.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Since the OP asked for warmth AND protection ideas...here are mine...

Protection: Leather has superior abrasion properties. It has no real padding properties for shoulders and knees (the part of the body usually injured in crashes according to the books and stats I have read). Except for boot leather that gets special treatments, most clothing leathers are NOT waterproof, although they will form a barrier for a while.

Leather is "old school" and most like it. Heck, I like it. But leather cannot compete or hold a light to the modern alternative materials today regarding complete protection. For shoulder and knee protection, you need some of the CE approved armor (padding) in those areas to help with shock absorption during a crash. Lots of quality vendors out there and even some leather jackets with shoulder and elbow padding. The textile/kevlar/ballistic nylon alternatives are worth a look from manufacturers such as Tourmaster, Cortech, Fieldsheer, Olympia, Aerostich (damn ugly expensive gear IMHO), and others. You can wear just about any jacket on a bike and preserve the "look" so many are fearful of abandoning for the sake of protection. But when it comes to the pants, I like the overpants for long trips. They are all virtually waterproof, have an insulating layer, and have padding in the hips, knees/shins, and some have padding to protect the butt bone. They completely eliminate wind chill on your legs, so little to no base layering is required with this approach.

Warmth: Here leather gets a definite thumbs-down from me. I have $400 dollar leather jackets that will freeze you to death on a long, cold ride. You start out OK, but the leather chills fast and then that chill is transferred to the underside. Again, the ballistic nylon/kevlar/denier fabrics provide superior performance to leather. Wind chill is virtually eliminated with the newer technology fibers, they are reasonably waterproof so if it starts to rain you won't have to switch to a rain suit (more time to drink coffee when you pull off and let the rain wash the oil off the road for about 30 minutes or so). And of course the elbow, shoulder, and back padding is there as a bonus.

It takes an open mind to step outside the box and try some of these new materials. Personally, I never buy any riding gear that is branded with Harley Davidson logos. I buy my stuff from folks that specialize and focus their manufacturing energy on specialty products. I buy my boots from companies that have been making quality waterproof and breathable boots for decades, not off the Harley dealers shelf direct from the lowest bidder in China. But all this is just my approach, YMMV.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 AM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The notion that your crotch will get cold is nonsense ok if you say so i know how mine feel

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Can you take those on and off with your boots on?

Yes, very easily. There is a full length heavy zipper on the outer side of both legs but you only have to unzip it them to the knees.

Cut like jeans, these conventional looking, unlined overpants are the perfect match for a Darien jacket. Two front pockets, one back pocket, a flapped front fly, and a waistband with belt loops containing a removable Aerostich belt are all practical details. Full length side zips with inner and outer flaps insure easy on-and-off convenience and severe weather protection. Bent knees, large 3M Scotchlite™ reflective ankle adjustment tabs, and shaped, removable TF3 knee pads complete the specifications. 500 Denier Cordura® GORE-TEX® fabric is fully seam taped for comfort and strength. Black, Grey or Tan. See web site for alterations and sizing. 30–46 waist, regular or long. USA.

FEATURES:
• Custom Shaped Knee Pads
• Rear Wallet Pocket
• Side Zips with Protective Over-Flaps
• Pre-bent Knees with Removable Armor
• Full Separating Leg Zippers
• Snapped Hems
• Scotchlite™ Reflective
• Hook & Loop for Optional Map Pocket
• Removable Belt
Waist Expansion Gusset

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...ien-pants.html

Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

While chaps "protect" your legs from wind, brush, and cactus thorns, they don't protect you when sliding on asphalt.

Ouch!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i have chaps for warm/cool weather, leather pants with full side zippers i got from fox leather (a little pricey but i think they are worth it) and a full one piece textile for cold weather. the key is get a full length zipper on whatever you buy. i think the chaps are more of a pita to get on than the pants and the once piece suit is the worst but provides the best protection. hope you get it worked out.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
E.T.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Long johns. Another option is flannel lined jeans and long handles.
20.00 Flanel lined carpenter geans from waly world, had the wife sew elastic stips on them thew go between the heel and sole of your boots and helps keep the wind from goin up your leg!! there good lookin, chaps arent all the rave they block wind great but unless there lined with somethin stil let the cold get threw!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts
Default Lycra cycling gear

I love my leather chaps, but for warmth I also use my old bicycling Lycra gear. I use a combination of these and chaps depending on the temps.

I originally tried these with the Harley as an experiment, and they work.

Whether it's the shorts or long-john style, they both:
1) have a chamois pad in the crotch area that adds comfort
2) wick moisture away from your body, keeping you dry
3) thin and comfortable
4) the long-john style is great under jeans for added warmth.

Quick Reply: alturitives to leather chaps