Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alturitives to leather chaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 AM
bigsmos
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to agree with Ron750 why don't they put a Velcro flap over the front to keep the boys warm and as for chaps they work great but look stupid *** hell only wear them when I'm not stopping much

Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM
harfooz
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tourmaster Venture pants with quilted liner. They have knee and hip armor, are easy to get on and off over clothes, will keep you dry in downpours, and are relatively quick to get on and off. I've used them down to the upper-teens and haven't ever gotten cold or wet in them.

If you want to wear just wear jeans then try a pair of Pearl Izumi Amfib tights or bib tights with the windblock front panel. No protection from wet or a get-off, but they will do a good job keeping you warm from the wind.

For days where the coldest temps are in the 40's, then a pair of Draggin' Liners work wel for me. No armor, and they won't keep you dry, but they will help prevent rash and keep you warm enough.

Hope this helps,
'fooz

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,816 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Timpechos
I didn't say i don't know how to dress warmjust looking for something different.
Why?

I ride 40 miles to work all year long. In January and February lows in the 20's are common. With fairing and lowers the chaps were all I needed every morning.

So why? Looks?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are "alturitives"?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Slewfoot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noble Jim: Thaz eggzakly what I was gonna say.....I can't believe some people's "spelling".......Obviously, he MEANT Alternatives!!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

got some good long johns at the mall,I think there called wolverines? rated at 40 below. paid $25. less colder days use thiner lower rated longjons. Have used chaps in the past and still do but there only soso for rain and if it rains then rain paints,really there is no one good answer so will travel with all of the above if posible.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 60 Posts

I have leather overpants from Branson leather. Really easy to get on/off. Never really liked the open crotch/butt thing you get with chaps (although I do have a pair). For when its really cold, I have a pair of textile overpants, with velcro insulated liner, made by FirstGear. They also have soft knee and hip armor AND are rainproof.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Barring all the gay, Village people, poser comments - chaps are actually quite functional and...great protective gear, when needed. Don't tell anyone, but I wear them too...

Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
wheelzk
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the overpants. Got mine from Leather up. Make sure not to get the ones that they call "premium over pant, as they really narrow up in the leg area and make it almost impossible to actually wear as an "overpant". Get something like the classic fit or loose fit ones. They have the zippers run all the way up and are a great alternative to chaps. The company is great to work with too. Had an issue with the size at first and they will exchange em quick and make sure youre happy with your purchase. Cost about $80, but if you hit a sale day can be cheaper and free shipping.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I used newspapers way back when. You can have something to read when you get where you are going that way.

Quick Reply: alturitives to leather chaps