Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling "Tall Boy" seat owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM
5th Gear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling "Tall Boy" seat owners

I'm 6'4" and own a '06 Road King Cl.

I have been tossing the idea around of buying a TallBoy seat from the local dealer. Apparently it will sit you 1/2"further back and 1 1/2" higher. Problem is no returns on seats.

I am wondering who has one and if it's worth the money, and has it helped for abit more leg room?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'6", 36" inseam:
I can't speak to that particular seat since the Tallboy for my model sets back 2" but not up at all. Still, it made the difference between having my nards mashed against the tank, knees in the bars on tight turns and just feeling generally scrunched, to feeling pretty comfortable during moderate length rides. Highway pegs and re-configuring the shift levers let me ride comfortably for a couple of hours at a stretch. Mini-apes will likely be in my future, and I think they will be the final touch for all-day comfort.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM
davejo44
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Tallboy on my '08 SG and it sat me back 1.75 inches and maybe just a tad taller but I liked it. It was really a pretty comfortable seat, not much for looks tho. It is a pretty ugly seat to look at when no one is on the bike. It was comfortable tho . . . good luck

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM
5th Gear
Tourer

Seats sure can vary from model to model.

The fellow at the HD dealer also suggested to have my current stock seat formed with new foam or gel and just have the back shaped abit different. I'm thinking I dont need to go higher but if I can push my fat a$$ back even an inch it would feel more comfortable.

It was suggested by someone to try a Mustang seat. Bit more expensive but at least you have 30 days to return AFTER you have insstalled and tried, which sounds like a good deal. Problem is not sure which Mustang seat to buy either.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM
KingSteve
Advanced
Default Tall Boy worth it

Harley and the other aftermarket seat makers have dozens of seats to get "shorties" closer to the ground, but the Tall Boy is the only one I have found to address us that breathe the thinner air.
I put one on my '06 Road King and felt like it helped to get be back and up a bit. For the $$ it's crazy, but actually was worth the money for my back and butt.....

Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 137 Posts

I just scored a Tallboy for my '09 RKC last month on eBay. Saved $100 which made it worth while to do. I was going to do a demo at the dealer with one when the weather turned nicer, but ended up not waiting.
Now, I have a couple hundred miles with it and it has not made a huge difference, but it is back a bit and lower. I know this because I did need to adjust my mirrors and my knees are not quite as high.
I am also 6' 6" with a 36" inseam.
So, the juries still out, but so far I have to say it is more comfortable than my stock seat. I do not like the looks as much since I lost the RKC seat with it's special design. The pillion section is wide and fairly fugly, too. That said, at my height, I am willing to live with a not quite as good looking seat for comfort.
I have also got an Airhawk R to try if the new seat gets uncomfortable on upcoming longer rides.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Liked my Tallboy when I put it on but ended up having Mean City Cycles do a shave and rebuild with memory foam, nice and comfy now, good position can go most all day. Tall boy was almost perfect (for me 6'7") but with "cush tush" treatment is now my perfect seat. Strange though I am now down and back but still ended up with more leg space. Alan did trim the side a bit as well so that the saddle didn't press on my inner thigh and cut circulation down.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the tall boy seat and it was one of the least comfortable seats I've owned.Up and back, yes. Comfort, not so much. After 3-4 hours, my backside was begging for relief

Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
jblass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

St.Paul (MN) Harley Davidson has demo seats you can try before you buy to see if they are a good fit. Nice program. Takes the guessing out of it. You may want to check around to see if there is a dealer around that does that.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 PM
rlawless
Intermediate

Put a tallboy on my '08 street glide, didn't like it. Moves you back some which took seat space for passenger. Dealer took it back and I bought sundowner. I'm 6'4" 245 lbs. My wife and I have put almost 30k miles on the seat. Both like the seat. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Calling "Tall Boy" seat owners