Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch lever adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
Default clutch lever adjustment

How much play should there be in the clutch lever while riding? It seems that when I put the bike in gear, the lever doesn't extend all the way out. I can actually push it out another quarter inch or so. The clutch grabs closely to the grip so I am thinking that I can adjust the the levers play a tad. How difficult is this. Yes, I know, I am going to get a manual. I plan on riding to the dealer, about 40 miles from me, tomorrow but I think I might to try this befor actually going. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

1.6 to 3mm freeplay. Aka about a 16th of an inch cold. Best place to measure is at the cable ferrule.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-13-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,980 Likes on 4,172 Posts

You have a little excess. Just need to extend clutch cable by breaking the locknut and screwing it apart to make outer sheath longer. However, you need the adjustment correct at the clutch itself. This requires you to remove derby cover and with an allen wrench hold it and break the clutch locknut and make sure the clearance is correct there. Then you adjust cable free play. The clutch free play once set should remain the same for quite a while. I usually set my 1/2" turn of free play. Wear makes this greater so you are OK. Do not do less since heat reduces it and if you do not have enough clutch may slip or spin throw out bearing all the time I give the cable play about 1/16" checked both sides of lock to lock of the bars. This way you have plenty of clutch break and engagement start sooner as you release lever.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-12-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Whatever you do, do not remove all of the slack in the lever. 1/4" does not sound excessive at all to me. If anything, that's pretty close to the minimum I'd ever want to see. If you remove all of the freeplay you will be risking clutch slippage and accelerated wear.

Just for a point of reference, my clutch and cable is adjusted so I have approx 1" of freeplay (3/4" cold - 1 1/4" hot) measured at the tip of the lever. This provides me with clutch engagement immediately off the grip which is where I prefer it. It does make nuetral a little tough to find at times but that's a worthy trade-off for me.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Whatever you do, do not remove all of the slack in the lever. 1/4" does not sound excessive at all to me. If anything, that's pretty close to the minimum I'd ever want to see. If you remove all of the freeplay you will be risking clutch slippage and accelerated wear.

Just for a point of reference, my clutch and cable is adjusted so I have approx 1" of freeplay (3/4" cold - 1 1/4" hot) measured at the tip of the lever. This provides me with clutch engagement immediately off the grip which is where I prefer it. It does make nuetral a little tough to find at times but that's a worthy trade-off for me.
I would like mine to release close to the bars as well. How do you set your clutch adjust at the primary?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can accomplish the same thing and still have the lever fully retract if you give it a little more play at the clutch basket.

My wife has small hands and I had to do this with her Dyna so clutch engagement was closer to the grip like yours. Her problem was it was hard for her to work the friction zone as the clutch engaged past the reach of her hands........lol

Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,980 Likes on 4,172 Posts

The lever free play is measured up at the stop shoulder were the cable hooks to it. It really is with the lever held fixed and you grab the outer sheath and pull back and forth and observe the free play in it. Is the 1" of free play you refer to at the tip the end of the lever were it hangs out of your palm?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,352 Likes on 5,494 Posts

Will keep this simple do not just adjust cable free play only you are due for a clutch adjustment.
Here you go any question ask you will get plenty of help.
If you want clutch to engage sooner go 3/4 turn if you like a longer travel go 1/2.

Last edited by smitty901; 04-12-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

That's good to hear 2black, cuz I would run out of adjuster threads if I had to adjust the ferruel as close as the manual calls for. I'm doing good with 1/4-3/8".

Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I would like mine to release close to the bars as well. How do you set your clutch adjust at the primary?
I adjust inside the cover to 1 full turn, then adjust the cable to provide the desired engagement point. I pay absolutely no attention to the 1/16" to 1/8" at the ferrule that is specified in the manual.

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
You can accomplish the same thing and still have the lever fully retract if you give it a little more play at the clutch basket...
Not on either of my bikes. I go a full turn inside the cover and if I adjust the cable as specified the engagement point is way too far from the grip for my liking. And... You don't want the lever to fully retract. You need some freeplay to ensure full clutch engagement.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The lever free play is measured up at the stop shoulder were the cable hooks to it. It really is with the lever held fixed and you grab the outer sheath and pull back and forth and observe the free play in it. Is the 1" of free play you refer to at the tip the end of the lever were it hangs out of your palm?
I'm perfectly aware of the specified adjustment procedure. What I'm saying is that the specified procedure will not result in the clutch "feel" that I prefer. The specified adjustment procedure results in an engagement point farther from the grip than I prefer. And yes the 1" I'm talking about is at the tip of the lever as you described.

Last edited by 2black1s; 04-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: clutch lever adjustment