Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Lights - Convert to HID

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
ggerline
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing Lights - Convert to HID

My father has an Ultra Classic 2009, and wants a HID headlight. Easy enough. Issue is, I don't want him to go down the road with two different looking lights and people stare in the negative way.

Questions:
1. What is the bulb size of the Passing Lights?
2. Can you run a HID bulb in that lamp/housing?
3. Is the shaft to house the wires big enough to run the HID Light wires to the bulb?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have run several different sets of lights up front and I don't think all three have ever been the same colour. Check what they look like at present. If you go HID in the headlight there are whiter/blue bulbs available for the passing lamps that will get closer. I haven't seen an HID ballast small enough to go inside a passing lamp casing yet, although they may be out there.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different color lights are just fine, not a big deal.

Make sure you get a bulb for the headlight that has a hi/low function.
If you wire the passing lamps too make sure to get the relay to keep them always on ( not shut off when you hit your brights) as HIDs take a second to warm up and it's annoying to switch back and fourth from hi to low and have to wait for them to warm up

Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thebarzeen
Different color lights are just fine, not a big deal.

Make sure you get a bulb for the headlight that has a hi/low function.
If you wire the passing lamps too make sure to get the relay to keep them always on ( not shut off when you hit your brights) as HIDs take a second to warm up and it's annoying to switch back and fourth from hi to low and have to wait for them to warm up
Good point about HIDs. I have a Harley one, which has two reflectors and bulbs. Only low beam is HID, the high beam is a conventional bulb, so no lag, however it is so poor the low out shines it! Low makes an excellent daytime light, being so bright and having a remarkably wide beam, but high is utterly useless at night.

Some HID conversions have a single bulb that moves to give low and high beams, so stays on all the time. It's well worth taking time, if shopping for HID, to check just how the two beams work.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-11-2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM
superprohero
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have run several different sets of lights up front and I don't think all three have ever been the same colour. Check what they look like at present. If you go HID in the headlight there are whiter/blue bulbs available for the passing lamps that will get closer. I haven't seen an HID ballast small enough to go inside a passing lamp casing yet, although they may be out there.
Any suggestions on what passing lamp bulbs may be bluer and brighter to match a HID more closely? 07 Road King

Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

passing lamp bulbs are h3. Nor sure on the wiring as HID's have the click together connectors. I do know that ballast won;t fit in that 4" passing lamp.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by superprohero
Any suggestions on what passing lamp bulbs may be bluer and brighter to match a HID more closely? 07 Road King
I haven't tried to match mine, being happy with what I've got! Also I live in the UK, so you and I get different brands of bulbs etc.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Good point about HIDs. I have a Harley one, which has two reflectors and bulbs. Only low beam is HID, the high beam is a conventional bulb, so no lag, however it is so poor the low out shines it! Low makes an excellent daytime light, being so bright and having a remarkably wide beam, but high is utterly useless at night.

Some HID conversions have a single bulb that moves to give low and high beams, so stays on all the time. It's well worth taking time, if shopping for HID, to check just how the two beams work.

i have the kit that the bulb moves in and out for bright and dim, love it just dont use the lil plug that makes the bulb move it always fails. snip the plugoff and hard wire the connection. HID's do not like to be turned off and on rapidly. you can easily blow one that way. before we can tell you a bulb t otry to match yo uneed to decied on color temp of your HID i perfer 8000k in everything i run. it has nice blue tint and makes it very noticable day and night and lights up road very well.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 AM
superprohero
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
i have the kit that the bulb moves in and out for bright and dim, love it just dont use the lil plug that makes the bulb move it always fails. snip the plugoff and hard wire the connection. HID's do not like to be turned off and on rapidly. you can easily blow one that way. before we can tell you a bulb t otry to match yo uneed to decied on color temp of your HID i perfer 8000k in everything i run. it has nice blue tint and makes it very noticable day and night and lights up road very well.
I probably have the same headlight unit as you. The bulb moves in and out. Think I got it from DDM. Damn near rides on the frame where the steering bearings are. And recently I noticed that if I turn the key on and start the bike right away, the bulb doesn't always ignite the 2nd time from starting. I learned to turn ign on and wait a few seconds before hitting the start button.

I'm unsure if I got the 5K or 8K bulb. It is fairly blue so I'm thinking 8K. I saw the HID kits for the passing lights at the Hendricks(?) website but also saw they are no longer doing business. Been searching yet it seems hard to find definitive info on HiD for passing lamps.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is a kit similar to DDM, i have wired up HIDs in the passing lamps before for a friend. i was able to find a balllast that had a long pig tail so i could tuck everything up in the fairing. dont remember where who i got them from. it was on ebay though. the color ont be the samew no matter what the shade wil be off lil becuase of the diff in the lamp housing size. my trucks always have diff shade in the fog lights.

here is a pic of all 8000k you can see slight diff.

Attached Thumbnails Passing Lights - Convert to HID-hid.jpg  

Last edited by slammed05fatty; 06-18-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Passing Lights - Convert to HID