Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Lights - Convert to HID

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2011 passing lights came with GE 881 long life bulbs, 28 w I believe. Was browsing the other day and saw a 881 replacement on Super Bright LED's that indicated an H11 was a fit for the 881. I think a normal H11 is 55 watts so probably too hot in halogen but they have an 4.5 watt led that looks interesting for $25. They say 6000k color so closer to HID. Curious how light output compares to the normal 28 w and 35 w halogen. Attached is the link. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...uct/1278/2955/

This would be an easy conversion to led if light output is anywhere close to the halogen. Probably would need to go zenon bulb, hid or led on the headlight to get close on color.

Last edited by TNCarters; 06-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
LevineAutomotive
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the passing lamp will be a 4.5 Par 36 sized bulb. While I haven't seen any HID in that size, I know we sell LED lamps that would fit. I put some links below. Hope this helps.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/trucklite-80240-harley.html

They are the phase 6 model. There is also a phase 7 model that we sell, but we do not have it on our website yet. The phase 6 is cheaper though. Hopes this helps.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a HID head light and have HIDs for my spots but have not but them in yet , I wired in a switch in to my ground wire on my head light so I can turn it off when I start and still have high and low beams , I have some LEDs in my spots now that look good but I don't think they light up much at night , like a beam , more like a flood light , my spots in my 07 are the 881 bulbs not H3s , going to have to put the ballast in the fairing as they won't fit in the spots , going to use the ground wire to the frame then use the original power wire I have the 6000 color light

Attached Thumbnails Passing Lights - Convert to HID-new-lights.jpg  

Last edited by 1st 96 ultra; 06-19-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Ratherbe Riding
2nd Gear

I just bough the HID bulb that moves in and out for the headlight, and despite the huge housing on my Road King, the fork tree takes up a lot of that space, and I worry that the back of that in/out solenoid bulb is going to hit something so I haven't installed it yet.

I put Adjure diamond reflectors in all three lights and I'm currently trying to get info off of a couple sellers on ebay that are selling some "G5 Super Compact" 35 w HID ballasts that MIGHT fit in the standard Harley passing lamp housings. IF I can get them to fit, I'm going to take their switch and put it on a relay that's constant hot so that turning the high beam on doesn't cancel them.

There are also some kits out there if you google "small ballast HID passing lamps" Links for Harleys come up, like this one for $150 US: http://www.hdbright.com/880s-harleyd...00k-p-230.html

Sounds like the ballasts will have to go outside the housings inside the fork/headlight area with high voltage wire back to the units with a hole drilled into the back of the housing and rubber grommet. I will try my standard H3 "universal" bulbs to see if they hit the inside of the glass of the Adjure housings. I ordered them for the rather small Chevy Tahoe fog lights. Hope any of these ideas help. Trying to do the same thing myself

Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Ratherbe Riding
2nd Gear

As a side note, I have tried several of those LED "bulbs" and have yet to have one work longer than about a year. Typically they give of nothing like the kind of light you would want, and individual LEDs begin to flicker then go out. A better choice would be the flat panels with super bright LED's designed as headlight/driving lights. They are made like the LED's used in cop light bars, tons brighter and more reliable. Of course they also cost an arm and a leg. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+LED+&_sacat=0

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Ratherbe Riding
2nd Gear

Got my answer from the internet on the G5 "ultra compact" ballasts. My Xentecs that I bought last year are already smaller, so there doesn't appear to be anything that will fit inside the housings, creating the need to remote them behind the headlight in the fork tube cover area.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tried it on mine and had to cut the wires to make them lone enough , did not work for some reason , have not got back on it yet , blew the ballast I thing messing with them , I have the 881 type bulb , they sure are bright , keep us posted , looking for ideas , glad they were cheap off e bay