Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White walls and mag wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: White walls and mag wheels question

Went by the dealer today and looked at the1200 XL wheel. The parts guy said it would not fit my RKC because of the belt sprocket and axel. Not to worry, I didn't believe him. There was also a Fat Boy wheel on display that looked identicle to the 1200 XL. Are they the same wheel? I see the XL wheel is a right hand drive so I assume you simply reverse the wheel, correct? And thanks for letting me know about this wheel, you are going to save me a few hundred dollars.
Gary

Old 02-18-2007, 01:01 AM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bad Dad

ORIGINAL: harris48cars

I love the looks of my RKC with the ww's and spokes but I do a lot of riding and have several long trips planned this year..... My question is , what mag wheel would look good with a white wall tire? Anybody have pics..
Gary
Whitewalls and spokes.

Quick disclaimer, I would MAYBE like different wheels as well...

But, white walls and PROFILE spokes [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 AM
tsglide
Cruiser

Yes, the wheel is turned one way on the Sportsters and the other for the Touring and Softails. The wheel is nondirectional so it doesn't matter which way its turned. There were a few years of Fatboys that ran this wheel also. When I started crossing part numbers in the HD Part Catalog to find what would work on mine and talking to a few helpful service(not parts) guys, I found that the same rear wheel would work from 00-05 Dyna's, 00-02 Softails(except Deuces), 00-06XL'sand 00-06 Touring models with the exception of the different axle sizes. Found that the OD of the bearings is the same whether they are a 3/4 or a 1" ID so they can be changes out. The 2002 and newer Touring and the 2005 and newer XL are the only one's that have the 1" already installed though, any others are 3/4".

Old 02-18-2007, 02:11 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

the silver 'mags' on the RK Custom look good with ww's

Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the polished solid wheels. I have always liked the look. Just my opinion though. Check my large bike picture below for a better look.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:27 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i installed a lightningstar rear wheel on my 06 ultra that was made for a sportster,you will need to enlarge the center of the wheel to accept the 1inspacer.a sportster wheel has a 3/4 axle,thus the meat in the middle part of the wheel isnt big enough for a 1in.spacer.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

my dad hsa 'gangster whites' on his Ultra Classic. He has the OEM 9-spoke mags and it looks pretty good.

We also have a set of the 9-spoke wheels that are @ the powdercoater...I looked (a lot), and I think that I found a powder that will match his 'glacier white' paint pretty well. They should be done early next week, and as long as they look like we expect, they are getting a set of the wide white walls from HD (the ones with Harley Davidson written on the sidewall). We'll see.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

My God 100thRK! Don't ride your bike, someone has stolen your right front rotor. Seriously though doesn't that have an effect on your braking?
Gary

Old 02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hawg50

i installed a lightningstar rear wheel on my 06 ultra that was made for a sportster,you will need to enlarge the center of the wheel to accept the 1in spacer.a sportster wheel has a 3/4 axle,thus the meat in the middle part of the wheel isnt big enough for a 1in.spacer.
I'm sorry Hawg50, I don't understand ("enlarge the center"), can you elaborate. Can I do this with a rat tail?
Gary

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: hawg50

i installed a lightningstar rear wheel on my 06 ultra that was made for a sportster,you will need to enlarge the center of the wheel to accept the 1inspacer.a sportster wheel has a 3/4 axle,thus the meat in the middle part of the wheel isnt big enough for a 1in.spacer.

I don't think that you needed to enlarge the hub...they make a thin walled spacer that would work. I have two of them sitting here @ the house.

Quick Reply: White walls and mag wheels question