Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st of some first time touring owners questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013 | 02:44 PM
bobg03
|
Road Master
Default 1st of some first time touring owners questions..

Hey all, I'm thinking I may need to be just a little lower in the saddle on my 13 Road King..

Give ya some facts first, Momma loves the factory seat, we are old and sore people.

What would be a good seat that would provide the same type of design for the passenger but lower the driver just a little bit? The reach to the controls is good so I don't need to be pushed foward and I can somewhat flatfoot. I'd just feel a bit better if I could be an inch or even 1/2 an inch lower, suggestions?

Sux to be vertically challenged.

Old 04-06-2013 | 02:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Try HD reduced reach seat or even the Sundowner. They should let you try it on your bike before buying.

Old 04-06-2013 | 03:16 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

shorter shocks and keep the original seat if its doing it thing

Old 04-06-2013 | 03:25 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Don't waste your time or cash with after market seats.
Locate a local shop that will redo your seat to fit you. half the cost and a seat made to fit your needs. And a few 1000's miles when you decide you want some tweaked a bit more it no problem.
There are little shops ever where that can do the work.
On my 2013 100 bucks got what I wanted done.

Old 04-06-2013 | 04:16 PM
Sagido
Tourer

Mean City Cycles

Old 04-06-2013 | 06:58 PM
BackRoader
Road Master

Your dealer should have demo seats. Try the Sundowner. Great seat. Has a type of memory foam in it. Conforms to your rear.

Old 04-06-2013 | 07:29 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer

I lowered my Ultra with the Harley drop shocks, I took them off after one long road trip (2000miles) the bikes handles different and rides harder because I had to crank up the air pressure to stop it from bottoming out riding two up loaded, cuts drown the travel by an inch. Save your money don't buy another seat just get it modified to suit you.

Old 04-06-2013 | 07:31 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned

I, too, an vertically challenged... short inseam. The good news is that there's an *** for every seat and a seat for every ***. What I mean is that it really is very personal. What worked for me and my Mrs. is Mustang Seats. Doesn't mean that it will work for you, but I will say that I easily have 100K, 48 states and a dozen 10-to-14 day trips on Mustang seats over the years and for me, their seats flat out work.

Their low-down touring will bring you down a half-inch. You may also want to get the shorter shocks from the SG, but if you are riding two-up full-time they may not be the best solution when loaded for a trip. Solo or just you and the Mrs. without a lot of luggage, they may work just fine.

Oh, yeah...you clearly know if Momma aint happy, aint nobody happy ... The first time my wife sat on a Mustang seat...she demanded I order one the next day...that was 1997 and four bikes ago.

Originally Posted by bobg03
Hey all, I'm thinking I may need to be just a little lower in the saddle on my 13 Road King..

Give ya some facts first, Momma loves the factory seat, we are old and sore people.

What would be a good seat that would provide the same type of design for the passenger but lower the driver just a little bit? The reach to the controls is good so I don't need to be pushed foward and I can somewhat flatfoot. I'd just feel a bit better if I could be an inch or even 1/2 an inch lower, suggestions?

Sux to be vertically challenged.

Old 04-07-2013 | 12:32 AM
KelownaGilly
Advanced

Originally Posted by BackRoader
Your dealer should have demo seats. Try the Sundowner. Great seat. Has a type of memory foam in it. Conforms to your rear.
+1 I have a 2012 RKC with a Sundowner. Works great and my wife really likes - way better than stock.

Old 04-07-2013 | 05:20 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Don't waste your time or cash with after market seats.
Locate a local shop that will redo your seat to fit you. half the cost and a seat made to fit your needs. And a few 1000's miles when you decide you want some tweaked a bit more it no problem.
There are little shops ever where that can do the work.
On my 2013 100 bucks got what I wanted done.
I agree. There's a little upholstery shop near me and he does great work. Adjusting the original seat will cost a lot less than a new seat or shocks.

Quick Reply: 1st of some first time touring owners questions..