Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the problem with stock RK handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM
darkcustom48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the problem with stock RK handlebars?

I have seen many threads about owners swapping stock bars out for heritage style bars. What is the gripe on the stock bars? Maybe I have the right height and reach, but I am OK with the stock bars. I do get wrist cramp rather quickly when not using cruise control. But other than that i am Ok with stock. What problems are you all experiencing?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,741 Likes on 2,233 Posts

They suck! Maybe if you're short they would be okay but I couldn't even lean back on the back rest with my hands on the grips. I had to look down past my chest to see the speedo. They were killing my back. I am 6' 1"

Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM
bads1buell
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2012 RK and have no problems with the stock bars.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
They suck! Maybe if you're short they would be okay but I couldn't even lean back on the back rest with my hands on the grips. I had to look down past my chest to see the speedo. They were killing my back. I am 6' 1"

The stock touring bars are horrible for a lot of people. A lot. Lucky you, they are ok for you, but for many many people they need to be changed.

You are aware that Amnesty International recognizes the stock bars on Harley touring bikes as torture devices?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

The worst set of bars I've ever rode with!! Constant pain in my shoulders and back. I switched them out after 2 months and went with the Heritage style bars. They were better, but I don't like the wrist angles or the way they look. I'm currently in the process of swapping them out for a set of 16" apes.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pain. For me, mostly shoulder and upper back. The only thing that made them tolerable on long trips was cruise control.

I wanted to go apes, but funds wouldn't allow, so I went with the heritage style bars. While not perfect, they got rid of the shoulder/back pain and put me in a more neutral (upright) position. If I get enough spare change, I'll eventually put apes on. But for about $80, no cable changes, and pain relief, it was an easy call.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
hank-hill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkcustom48
I have seen many threads about owners swapping stock bars out for heritage style bars. What is the gripe on the stock bars? Maybe I have the right height and reach, but I am OK with the stock bars. I do get wrist cramp rather quickly when not using cruise control. But other than that i am Ok with stock. What problems are you all experiencing?
Wrist cramp is why they suck, installing a set of wild ones in the height of your choice eliminates that. They are also designed to run the ugly wires in the handlebar which cleans up a lot

Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Mostly wrist positioning for me, but even when I rolled up the stokers so the grips were parallel to the ground they would hit my knees in tight turns....not good. Taller was needed. I am 6'-9".

Adam

Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,664 Likes on 1,084 Posts

This could almost be me on my Road King with stock bars.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,741 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
This could almost be me on my Road King with stock bars.

Quick Reply: Whats the problem with stock RK handlebars?