Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the problem with stock RK handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
darkcustom48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robvg
The O.P. gets wrist cramps with the original bars and wonders what the gripe is?? I'm sure that we'll see him soon on another thread extolling the virtues of his new bars, be they Heritage or 16"ers, and wondering why he didn't do it sooner.
Yep wrist cramp. But I said nothing about neck or back pain which seems to be the biggest complaint of others.

And by the way, I have no intentions of switching my bars. So I'm sorry you'll be missing my next thread.

Last edited by darkcustom48; 04-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Amen

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
The worst set of bars I've ever rode with!! Constant pain in my shoulders and back. I switched them out after 2 months and went with the Heritage style bars. They were better, but I don't like the wrist angles or the way they look. I'm currently in the process of swapping them out for a set of 16" apes.
Amen to that! I'm saving the bucks for my Carlini Gangsters!!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heritage-style on my FLHR. All day rides are no longer a problem with the correct seating and reach. I looked around and saw the majority of FLHRP's come trade time at the local HD were equipped with the same bar. Figured if the LEO's that have to make a living riding these bikes go with the Heritage-style over the OE, then it must be worth trying out. I did and like the set-up for the past year.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock bars resulted in pain across my back between the shoulders after 30 minutes in the seat. Heritage style bars solved that problem.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser

I am 5'11" and stock works for me fine. Everyone is different. Being shorter I have no problem with reach. I can even lay back a bit against the back rest and roll the curves.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Snowmaster113
Cruiser

I'm 6'6" and rode my RK with the stock bars all last summer and they didn't really bother me to much until I was riding for more than a few hours and my neck and shoulders would get sore. I installed a set of 16" apes this winter and have had it out on a few warm days for some short burns and all I can say is the best investment I have made. Feels great and looks good with all the cables ran through the bars really cleaned it up.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaster113
I'm 6'6" and rode my RK with the stock bars all last summer and they didn't really bother me to much until I was riding for more than a few hours and my neck and shoulders would get sore. I installed a set of 16" apes this winter and have had it out on a few warm days for some short burns and all I can say is the best investment I have made. Feels great and looks good with all the cables ran through the bars really cleaned it up.
I can't wait to get mine on!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They suck and look like chit...I went with WO 518's and love everything about them.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

My stock bars felt okay at the dealer and were okay for short rides. But on my first long trip I knew they were too far forward. Even rolling them back did not help. Shoulders, back ached and I did not rest against my backrest. I looked at variuos options to move them back about 2" and the RK Heritage style bars did that. I do not know why they are not the stock bars. Of the RKs I ride with, not one has stock bars. Oh, maybe that is why H-D sells them with those bars. It was a gimick to help drive after sale purchases. I changed them and have not thought about the handlebars since, so they must be working okay.

Today, I'd probably look at other options, but the Heritage style RK bars work fine. Mine are rolled all the way back, just so they clear the tank when the handlebars are turned.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I've owned about 27 Harley's in the past 20 years. As for stock bars the RK have to be the worst for the general public. As most guys say, you usually have to lean forward and down to ride and that's what causes the back and shoulder issues. It mostly started with the new frame bikes in 09 I think. Swapped to a set of Heritage style bars first week I had the bike til I gathered the funds to swap in the 14" WO chubbys. Heritage style bars cure the issue for 90% of the riders, some of us just prefer apes.

Quick Reply: Whats the problem with stock RK handlebars?