Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quest for better sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:00 AM
LDrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quest for better sound

I've read all of the past posts on improving the the sound of the Electroglide stereo and I still have a few questions. My ride is an 05' Classic and I was about to lay down the 600 bucks for the factory enhanced stereo upgrade when a little voice told me "there has to be a better way". So I stuck a pair of Alpine TypeS 2 ways up front. I had planned on the Hogtunes, but after I heard the HT's on a buddy's RG I'm happier with the Alpines. Thier aimable tweeter just fits under the grill and they have an aluminum woofer that should be extremely weather resistant. For my 90 bucks I got a great improvment in clarity and volume but just like my friends HT's, little to no bass. I'm not expecting miracles from a 5 1/4 speaker but I think if I drive them a little harder I should pick up a little somthin on the low end. So I'm in search of an amp. Found an automotive unit that some wing guys are touting as a good choice for a bike and so far I'd have to agree. It's small, not quite under the fairing small but at least it won't take much room in the trunk. I'ts uses IC chips instead of mosfets so it draws less power and develops less heat. I'm also thinking of adding rear speakers, maybe some of you Ultra owners can let me know if the rears make a difference. Can ya hear them at 80 or are they just for the passenger. I also found some aftermarket rear pods. They look like the the HD's but they hold a 6 1/2" speaker. Kinda pricey though, $250 empty!

After it's all done is the HD head gonna be the weak link?

Amps @
electricalconnection.com

Rear Pods @
eglidegoodies.com

Check them out and let me know what ya think.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Quest for better sound

There are many posts on this subject and the best thing for you to do is upgrade to:

HOGTUNE SPEAKERS

You want to do this before you add amp. You probably won't need it. These speakers are around $100.00 and are easy to install. Everyone on this forum loves them.

Look at the "Product Review" Thread (page 2)

Also Pilot (Mac) Forum administrator has them on his Standard

Terry

Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

Does your stereo have rear speaker outputs on your 05? The factory radio on my 96 TC did not. I have rear speaker pods that accept 4 1/4" speakers, that were basicly wired in series from the front. With the factory radio it sounded like crap. I recently did the Biketronics upgrade to a Sony 5710 head unit and wired the rear speakers properly. It has all the power and then some that I need. Its rated at 52w X 4 max, 23w rms X 4. It cranks! The stereo is loaded with features, XM ready, plays MP3 cd's, and operates off the handlebar controls.

I tried to get a set of Hogtunes to replace the front speakers. I talked to Pez and gave him dimensions of the speakers I had, and he said no go. He told me what to look for in a quality replacement for my speakers. I went to a high end stereo shop in my area and matched up a set of Alpine Type S, SPS-130A
5 1/4" speakers. $68.00 OTD. They fit and sound great! In hind sight Hogtunes 5 1/4 probibly would have worked, I'm satisfied with theese Alpine speakers too.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

I know alot of you guys are sold on the Hogtune speakers and I agree that they sound great but after comparing them side by side all other factors being equal, I felt the Alpines had a bit more brillance and clarity. Obviously it's a very subjective thing. Another set of ears could easily come to the opposite conclusion. What they both lack is much of a bass response off the factory head. While the Biketronics/Sony combo really seems a great choice, I'm not ready to ditch the factory radio just yet. With the SE103 kit that I had installed before I took delivery I already have way to many parts sittin on the shelf. I'm not sure about the rear channel output, I'll check it out this weekend when I'm back under the fairing. Anybody got an idea on where I can stick a 15" powered sub (LOL) actually I am thinking about 6.5" midbass speakers for the aftermarket rear pods. And I'll still need an amp to get everything pumped up. I'm goin with the SPL unit from Electrical Connection I talked to them today and they assurred me that as long as my expectations weren't TOO unressonable I would be happy with the bass improvment. They seem to be good people even if they do ride wings.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:33 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

By the way what's this I've been reading about the pre '06s not playing mp3 CDs my '05 sees them just fine.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

Your 05 see's Mp3? The few I burned for my Sony do not work on my Dad's 05 Ultra. I made copys off a friends set of Mp3 discs. How are you burning discs to get them to work in your 05 radio? How many songs on a disc?

Old 08-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Why don't you just e-mail Pez at Hogtunes. He has, and does work for a number of quality speaker manufacturers, and will answer your questions in a professional manner. I've only met him once, but I can read people, and he is solid.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Chaplain Wayne
Advanced

LD IRder:

I also want to know how the 05 reads MP3's. I have an 05 Road Glide and dealer told me "no." I play my ipod just fine through it though, and the CD is super clear. I am trying some J & M front speakers. Much better than stock ones!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
LDrider
Cruiser

I was mistaken on the mp3 issue. My son explained to me that my burn software was actually converting mp3's and wma's back to a music cd format. duh!

You were correct about the rear speaker outputs on the TC's. I checked the manual and they put 4 channel heads in the Ultra and 2 channel heads in the Classic. I'm gonna try double feeding the 4 channel SPL amp and use the gain chokes to set a balance front and rear. If I'm not happy with the outcome I'll be giving biketronics a call. I read that thier unit adjusts volume according to speed. How do you like that feature and can it be adjusted or turned off like the factory AVC.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:49 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Get louder pipes and you won't have to worry about the bass in the speakers!

4 speakers on my Ultra is definately a good thing. They are hear just fine at 80 and make a big difference in the sound of the system. The Ultra has a 4 channel radio and 10 more watts than the Classic's 2 channel output. If you want to split your output correctly then you are going to just need a four-channel amp with the crossover built in and you should be able to power both sets of speakers just fine. Keep in mind that you are not in a car you are on a motorcycle, and from what I have read about your 103" beast, a powerful one. The sound of the pipes to me is more important that the sound of the radio...to each his own. I like the sound of the Hogtunes for the price. $250.00 to the door and no amps to install or wiring to run. Just plug them in and ride.

Good luck in your quest for more bass.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/262DFD571D50406ABF4989B5D0828F99.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Quest for better sound