Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quest for better sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quest for better sound

ORIGINAL: LDrider

I was mistaken on the mp3 issue. My son explained to me that my burn software was actually converting mp3's and wma's back to a music cd format. duh!

You were correct about the rear speaker outputs on the TC's. I checked the manual and they put 4 channel heads in the Ultra and 2 channel heads in the Classic. I'm gonna try double feeding the 4 channel SPL amp and use the gain chokes to set a balance front and rear. If I'm not happy with the outcome I'll be giving biketronics a call. I read that thier unit adjusts volume according to speed. How do you like that feature and can it be adjusted or turned off like the factory AVC.
I thought so (mp3)

If you already haven't bought the amp I would reconcider. You will never get true stereo 4-channel sound out of your TC radio. The Sony puts out 23 watts RMS per channel, thats huge! Your Alpine speakers are rated for 25 watts RMS, the amp will be overkill. Use the amp money toward the rear pods and get the Sony. Then if you feel you need the amp, do it. The Sony has 3 sets of RCA pre outs (front, rear, sub) if you need them later. The sony has built in crossovers and EQ that are programmable. Keep in mind your battery size, and charging capacity. An amp will drag your battery down pretty quick. Another "con" where are you going to hide an amp? I would never sacrifice space in the bags for sound.

I love the SCV feature. It can be turned off too. It has 20 settings to choose from. I like that its almost quiet at a stoplight, you dont look like an idiot blairing your radio and cranking your pipes. You will be able to hear emergency vehicles before you take off, or talk to somone riding with you without having to turn the volume down manually. Its a nice feature.

My bike's pipes are pretty rude, I'm cammed with Branch heads,S&S Super E, and Kerker pipes, it Barks!
The Sony gets over the top of the pipes clearly, even at 85mph. I think any Bass you get out of the stereo would be canceled by your pipes anyway. 6 1/2" 2 way in the rear will sound great.

I'm sure someone here with a Standard would be glad to give your stock stereo and speakers a new home should you choose to go with the Sony.

Give it some thought,
V2

Old 08-26-2005, 02:33 AM
LDrider
Cruiser

Good advice V2, you got me to put this thing in it's proper order. After listening to the stock head via the Alpines for a while the harley unit really is lacking. Biketronics/Sony is going to be next on that front. Thanks

But now I have a bigger issue, with the improvment of my stereo I can barely hear my SE slipons. Will it never end!

A few folks reading this thread have emailed me with questions about installing the Alpines so I thought I'd post what's entailed here.

There are a few minor steps to take to install the alpine speakers and my experience is limited to my '05 EG Classic.

1) The alpines come with the proper connectors and these need to be spliced on to the harley radio speaker leads paying attention to speaker polarity.

2) I had to cut the backside of the plastic speaker mount slightly to get the mounting screws to all line up.

3) The magnet on the alpines touch a fairing support stut that attaches at one of the speaker mounting screws. I wrapped the strut with a few layers of electrical tape at the contact point.

4) After putting it back together it occurred to me that speakers always sound better when you close off sound leaks to the back side. So off came the fairing again. I added some car stereo speaker baffels and the difference was well worth the effort.

5) Although none of the above is very difficult it sounds like the hogtunes may have the edge on ease of installation. I've had the chance to hear both and which ever you choose you will be impressed with the improvment over the stock speakers.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:21 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

No problem LD. I know what you mean, mine drounds out the pipes on the e-way.

I must of had it easy installing the Alpines. Used the grilles from the old J&M's and mounted them with the three coarse thread torx head screws. Nothing got in the way, they are perfect! I have to play around with the aim of the tweeters, but it still sounds sweet.