Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Ultra Motor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ultra Motor question

I'm looking for ideas of modifications I can have done to my 03 Ultra Classic. I know this isn't the Tech Area but I wanted to get this out to everyone! My bike is stock and I find myself having to downshift way too much, pulling hills, passing etc... I'm a heavy dude and usually ride two up with my wife all over Alaska! With this being said I would appreciate some guidance with options of what to do! My concern is not to do any mods that would shorten the life of my motor. My motor has not been cracked open yet! Here is my email if you would like to make things easier
ybpops@yahoo.com

Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice Halibit!

I was very happy with just adding the Andrews 21 cam to my 88" motor. I had the same concern about reliability as well as cost. I am also a big guy that also runs 2 up. The cam added a lot of low end grunt were we need it. Acceleration, up hill grades etc... It puts the power right were we need it for everyday riding. I did a lot of research and if make the choice to not increase your cubic inches, this is the cam to get. Pulls like a locomotive.

If you haven't done so, take the time to replace the cam tensioners if you do this upgrade. You should be checking those anyways.

By the way I have family in Anchorage and Sterling. I love visiting them.

Last edited by Pumba11; 04-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Andrews 21 is the perfect cam for an 88 cam and earliest torque for two-up riding.

Carl

Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

You have the following very rough options. One is to replace easy things, like cams, air filter and mufflers and have your bike tuned, which will give you a decent boost in performance. Second is to fit a big bore kit plus higher comp pistons with the above, plus optional head porting, for a more serious improvement. Third is to go yet bigger, with long stroke crankshaft plus all the above, for a major boost. Finally there are bigger replacement engines that will bolt right in, up to 131", with enough GO to make most of us happy!

There are countless variations on the above, but we have HDF sponsors who tune engines and who will make the choice a lot simpler for you, so I suggest contacting one of them. They can offer a choice of services and parts along those lines above, to make your bike something special!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
robo74
Cruiser

I have the same motor, same scenario. I have done much reading on the topic and made the plunge to get my cams done while getting the tensioner issue addressed. I went with the Andrews TW26. I found many threads that the TW26 and TW21 are very similar. I have had many recommendations to get the TW26. Hopefully bike is ready in the next couple days so I can try it out!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am very happy with Screaming Eagle 204 cams, coupled with a 95" motor.
Reliable performance.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
buford
Cruiser

Like others have mentioned, take your bike to a reputable mechanic, have him/her go thru your bike to check everything out to make sure all is functioning/performing correctly. There's plenty of items (outside the motor) that can rob you of power. Bad drive belt, drive pulleys, wheel bearings etc.
Once that is determined to be good, do as others have mentioned by installing a good touring type cam with lower end torque. The Andrews tw21 cam appears to be the most popular in the 88TC motor. But there are others that will work good also. Also as mentioned, change out your cam chain tensioner and install new lifters, push rods and cam bearings while you're in there.

Good Luck, You'll be happy once you are completed with your upgrade

Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Pops
I'm looking for ideas of modifications I can have done to my 03 Ultra Classic. I know this isn't the Tech Area but I wanted to get this out to everyone! My bike is stock and I find myself having to downshift way too much, pulling hills, passing etc... I'm a heavy dude and usually ride two up with my wife all over Alaska! With this being said I would appreciate some guidance with options of what to do! My concern is not to do any mods that would shorten the life of my motor. My motor has not been cracked open yet! Here is my email if you would like to make things easier
ybpops@yahoo.com
Pops, go to www.fuelmotousa.com They have several "packages" you can utilize, depending on what you want to spend. They have outstanding service and good prices.