Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does engine Chrome raise temp??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a topic discussed on almost every website dedicated to a particular brand of motorcycle.

In my opinion, the more bare alloy or cast iron you have in an engine the better it will dissipate heat (and rough, unpolished metal at that). Vintage racers typically avoid any chrome, paint or coatings on engine components to avoid the problems with heat dissipation that coatings cause. Chrome is for looks; not for performance.

When's the last time you saw an aircooled race engine with a lot of chrome on it?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:07 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Taconite - You must be a heat transfer guru! Great explanation!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taconite
There are three modes of heat transfer. They are conduction, convection and radiation. An air cooled engines main mode of cooling is convection. Your engine hopefully does not come in contact with any other body or mass so conduction is out of the question. That leaves radiation. A materials relative ability of its surface to emit energy by radiation is called emissivity. Just like flat black objects absorb more radiant heat from say the sun. A flat black body will also emit more radiant energy or heat. Thats why wood stoves and solar water heaters are back. On the contrary, shiny reflective surfaces are very poor at absorbing and emitting radiant energy. So while air is rushing buy your engine it is convective cooling,. The greater the duration and volume of air the greater the sum of exchange. The greater the temperature differential the greater the rate of exchange. Radiant cooling is only affected buy the surfaces ability to emit heat waves, therefore black bike components will cool quicker than chrome, all else being equal. BUT the same holds true for absorption, black components will also absorb a greater sum of solar radiation at a greater rate than chrome. Stay out of the sun and drive into the wind and you will have no problems right.
When air is forced against an exchanger, conduction occurs because of the local overpressure. Once warmed the air escapes naturally by convection which is related to density.
I rode from Key West today but no air cooling was available, only immersion worked

Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I remember years ago, it was said that chrome plated engines were more likely to be hotter than ones that weren't. I never knew anyone that had one.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
When air is forced against an exchanger, conduction occurs because of the local overpressure. Once warmed the air escapes naturally by convection which is related to density.
I rode from Key West today but no air cooling was available, only immersion worked
Me no unnerstan....unless you were driving your boat ?
Speaking of driving your boat....are you say'in you were having sex from Key West ?

Last edited by drukanfu; 05-10-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

There are three modes of heat transfer. They are conduction, convection and radiation. An air cooled engines main mode of cooling is convection. Your engine hopefully does not come in contact with any other body or mass so conduction is out of the question. That leaves radiation. A materials relative ability of its surface to emit energy by radiation is called emissivity. Just like flat black objects absorb more radiant heat from say the sun. A flat black body will also emit more radiant energy or heat. Thats why wood stoves and solar water heaters are back. On the contrary, shiny reflective surfaces are very poor at absorbing and emitting radiant energy. So while air is rushing buy your engine it is convective cooling,. The greater the duration and volume of air the greater the sum of exchange. The greater the temperature differential the greater the rate of exchange. Radiant cooling is only affected buy the surfaces ability to emit heat waves, therefore black bike components will cool quicker than chrome, all else being equal. BUT the same holds true for absorption, black components will also absorb a greater sum of solar radiation at a greater rate than chrome. Stay out of the sun and drive into the wind and you will have no problems right.
See, this is what the poor bastards in Minnesota think about during those crazy long off seasons!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I remember years ago, it was said that chrome plated engines were more likely to be hotter than ones that weren't. I never knew anyone that had one.
If you come across an old Porsche 911 cylinder you will see chome inside and sandblast finish outside. In the early 70's they knew how to make use of heat to improve performance.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 AM
taconite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
Lucky you were able to ride that bike under water to get the effect of immersion cooling. It must of been a wicked hot day in the Keys if the ambient air temp was close to 400 F and you couldn't get any convective cooling across the surface of the engine! No Delta T that day...

Newton's cooling law is a solution of the differential equation given by Fourier's law:

Where:

is the thermal energy in joules is the heat transfer coefficient (assumed independent of T here) (W/m2 K)

is the surface area of the heat being transferred (m2)

is the temperature of the object's surface and interior (since these are the same in this approximation)

is the temperature of the environment; i.e. the temperature suitably far from the surface is the time-dependent thermal gradient between environment and object

Last edited by taconite; 05-11-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well now this just sucks! I just got what type/brand of oil to use and now i have to read up on heat dispersion!! Whats next? which tires are better? geeeezzzzzz

Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 AM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

Newton's cooling law is a solution of the differential equation given by Fourier's law:

Where:

is the thermal energy in joules is the heat transfer coefficient (assumed independent of T here) (W/m2 K)

is the surface area of the heat being transferred (m2)

is the temperature of the object's surface and interior (since these are the same in this approximation)

is the temperature of the environment; i.e. the temperature suitably far from the surface is the time-dependent thermal gradient between environment and object
Geez! Now you had to get all scientific.

Quick Reply: Does engine Chrome raise temp??