Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about what comes with Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013 | 12:46 PM
pyronuc
|
Advanced
Default Questions about what comes with Tour Pak

I really hate to start this thread, I'm sure this info is on the boards somewhere, but I have searched and only ended up confusing myself. I hope someone can answer this for me and clear it up.

I have a 2012 Big Blue Pearl Streetglide. A few weeks ago, I purchased a Tour Pak 53963-12DJO and detachable two-up mount 53276-09A (I already have the 4-point dock).

Now, what I am trying to figure out, is just what exactly have I bought, and what is missing from that. The nice picture on the HD website looks like it has the wrap-around backrest, the mount for an antenna, the hinges (I am assuming), the latches, and the lock. Does it come with all of that?

It seems, from what I've read, that it does not come with the lock and you have to buy the lock separately, with your key code, to key-to-match the bike. Depending on where I look, what I've read goes all the way from saying that the Tour Pak comes with the entire lock hardware with a "generic" lock that can be replaced with a keyed to lock cylinder, right down to the extreme opposite end that it comes without any part of the lock mechanism. I have seen people say they bought 53848-00 (Tour Pak Lock, Keyed To Match), of which I have yet to find a picture of the kit or confirm what is in it, but I am led to believe it is a complete kit with all the parts to install the lock. I have also seen where other people have ordered 53194-07 (barrel lock, keyed to match), but this appears to be just a lock cylinder from what I've read, and again, I haven't seen any pictures of it. I've also seen where people say they have ordered 53848-00 and also had to order about a half dozen other washers, nuts, etc.

This is just so damn frustrating. I just want to know what exactly I'm getting. Do I need to buy a lock cylinder (I do want it keyed properly, so that's a yes)? What's the part number for that? Do I need just the cylinder, or is there a kit I have to buy? Is 53848-00 that kit? Does it come with everything, or do I have to buy nuts and washers and stuff separately? I don't understand why this has to be so difficult, and I don't understand why none of these things show up on the HD website or in the parts catalog. I see nothing in the Tour Pak descriptions online that tell you what else you need, what other kits to buy, etc. Hell, I don't even know if this stupid thing comes with the backrest that is pictured!!

Ridiculous

I sincerely hope someone can help me out. I know the Tour Pak is supposed to come with a map pouch, mat, etc. That's all well and good. But I want to make sure I have the hinges, the latches, and the lock, and everything else needed that goes along with those. I need to know what else I need to order if anything. And I need to know if I need to order a backrest. Please help.

Old 04-01-2013 | 12:50 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

It's been awhile since I bought mine (I bought it at the same time as the bike), but I had to order everything seperately. The docking hardware, the antenna relocation kit, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember now, but they make it a pain in the *** to do. If I were you I'd just find a good parts guy at the dealership and tell him to set you up with everything you'll need. Also, you'll have to have them key your TP lock to your existing keys.

Old 04-01-2013 | 12:50 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

You need to buy the lock hardware separately (They will key it to your current key).
You also need to buy the backrest separately.

You will need to relocate your antenna also (relocation kit sold separately).

All other hardware should be included with the Tour Pack and docking kits.

Old 04-01-2013 | 12:56 PM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Thanks for the speedy replies. I think I'll be calling my stealership tomorrow and get some part numbers, and then order them online. I'm waiting for the Tour Pak (painted part and all that) and I want to hopefully have all of the rest of the parts when the Tour Pak shows up.

The backrest is no big deal right now, because I rarely (if ever) have a passenger, and the trunk will work fine without it in the meantime. But the lock is something I want to have ready to set up when it arrives.

It seems like they make this way more of a pain in the *** than it has to be. I guess as long as the $$$ keeps coming in, the MoCo doesn't care, but it would definitely be a lot better if they sold it with a complete lock set even if it didn't match the bike, and then have the option of paying for a new cylinder to key it the same. But then they couldn't charge extra for the parts, I guess. Just aggravating, because it doesn't have to be such a pain.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Edit: I already have my antenna relocation done, with the bracket that mounts the antenna right at the bottom edge of the fender. I installed that when I got my detachable air-wing luggage rack and luggage bags and stuff. I also have the shorty antenna, so I should be good to go. I would LOVE to do an in-fairing antenna, but I've tried 3 of them now, and I'm tired of wasting money on antennas that simply don't work.

Last edited by pyronuc; 04-01-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2013 | 12:57 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
If I were you I'd just find a good parts guy at the dealership and tell him to set you up with everything you'll need. Also, you'll have to have them key your TP lock to your existing keys.

They will get everything you need in one shot.
They will also get the numbers from your current key, so the new Tour Pack lock uses the same key.

I just went this route last summer.
15 minutes with the parts guy and it was ordered.

When it all came in (about 4-5 weeks later) I had everything I needed to take home and install.

Old 04-01-2013 | 01:00 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RollaMo

They will get everything you need in one shot.
They will also get the numbers from your current key, so the new Tour Pack lock uses the same key.

I just went this route last summer.
15 minutes with the parts guy and it was ordered.

When it all came in (about 4-5 weeks later) I had everything I needed to take home and install.
^^^^^

Order it at the parts counter at your dealer of choice.
They will go over every item and give you a printout of every item that comes with it, and everything you need to order separately.
Plus, be able to answer any and all questions at the time of order.

Old 04-01-2013 | 01:03 PM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow (they're closed on Sundays and Mondays) and get the part numbers I need. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-06-2013 | 12:49 AM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

So my Tour Pak arrived today!!

Didn't take as long as I thought it would. It was slightly less than a month. Anyway, so mine came with pretty much nothing extra, just bare bones. I got the box itself (of course), the retainer cable that holds the lid when open, the hinges and latches, the map pouch, the bottom plate, and a rubber mat. It did NOT come with any type of backrest (kinda makes sense) but had holes drilled for the backrest. It did not come with the lock mechanism at all (figured it wouldn't), and didn't even come with any hardware (screws, nuts, washers, etc.).

So, a quick trip to my H-D dealer supplied the backrest and the screws. I knew they had a backrest in stock from when I called the other day, but I held off on buying it on the slim off chance that the tour pak came with one. Once I got my part numbers a few days ago, I placed my order for my lock set, so I'm still waiting on that. But I already had my quick detach bracket, so I went ahead and slapped it all together. While waiting for my lock set to arrive, I snagged a plastic cap/plug from Lowe's to put in the hole.

Now, my tour pak setup is functionally complete, I just have a few more things I'm waiting on. I didn't want to put the brake lights on the tour pak, but I felt like it needed something on the back, so I bought the emblem they use on the Road Glide Ultra. Nice and clean look for my Street Glide, not too cluttered, fills in the huge expanse of blank canvas back there, and says Harley-Davidson. Surprisingly, this thing doesn't say Harley on it anywhere I can see, which seems really odd to me, as stuff is usually slathered in logos. Even the little aluminum looking trim piece on top just says "USA." I also have the Air Wing luggage rack and the extra brake light that fits the luggage rack on order. I'm also looking at getting some rear speaker pods for it (most likely the 6.5" Titan II pods from Biketronics, to match my 6.5" Titan II fairing speakers). Other than that, I'm just waiting on that lock set to arrive. I might also consider getting the Kuryakyn adjustable sliding mount thingy, because even using the set of holes that aligns it further to the rear, it still seems awfully close to the driver's backrest.

So, of course this thread needs pics, so here you go. Don't mind the dirtiness of the bike. Seems like there was a gigantic pollen explosion literally 2 days after I washed it a couple weeks ago. I also think I had the lower backrest pad on wrong when I took the pics, and figured out I could screw it on upside down and then flip the pad over to hide the screw heads. So...dirty bike, improperly installed lower pad, gaping hole where the lock goes (hadn't gotten the plastic plug yet)...I think that's the only major issues in the pics.

The only thing I don't really like is the stubby antenna with the tour pak. It just doesn't look right to me. I have the relocation kit (as you can see) and I guess the whip antenna would look a little bit better, but I'm afraid of it smacking into the tour pak since it sits only an inch or so behind the bottom edge of the tour pak. If I could find an in-fairing antenna that worked worth a crap I would definitely go that route, but I've already bought 2 and they've both sucked really bad. I am wary of spending any more money on a hidden antenna.

Last edited by pyronuc; 04-06-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2013 | 07:04 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Looks great, nice job.
I have a '13 EGC in Big Blue Pearl....one of the best colors I've seen!

Just for an FYI, the pad/panel that hangs down between the backrest and the seat: It is supposed to be attached with the flap covering up the screws.
In other words, hold the pad upside down against the tourpak, screw the pad down, then flip the pad frontwards, over the screw rail so the pad hangs over the screws and covers them.
I hope I'm making sense and you understand what I'm trying to say.
If not, next time you go to the dealer, look at that pad on a factory tourpak bike, lift up the pad and see how it's attached, you'll see what I mean.

It will just cover up the screws if you attach it the way I've explained.
Nice job! Ride safe.

Old 04-06-2013 | 08:16 AM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
Just for an FYI, the pad/panel that hangs down between the backrest and the seat: It is supposed to be attached with the flap covering up the screws.
Thanks, but if you read my write-up (yeah, I know it's wordy, lol), you'll see that I did figure that out. It just didn't look right the way it was in the pictures, so I reversed it and now it does hang over and cover the screws.

I read and re-read the instructions that came with my backrest, and it looks like they gave me instructions for a backrest kit that had the lower pad attached to the upper pad, not the lower half of the trunk. It even said something about plugging the lower screw holes with rubber inserts (which were not included, of course). So I had to figure out how to mount the lower pad on my own. When I first went to install it, I thought maybe the upper pad hung down low enough to cover them. Then I took pictures, and realized my mistake, and flipped it around. Didn't take any more pictures afterwards, though.

I blame Harley. If they would have included instructions that matched my kit exactly, I would've been golden. I figured it out pretty quick through trial-and-error, though.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. Good lookin' out, man.

Last edited by pyronuc; 04-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions about what comes with Tour Pak